Film, Video Sounds of Korea: Traditional Music & Dance from New York
About this Item
- Sounds of Korea: Traditional Music & Dance from New York
- Performance art by Sounds of Korea.
- Event Date
- July 23, 2014
- - Sounds of Korea is part of the New-York-based Korean Performing Arts Center (KPAC), consisting of a dance troupe, an instrumental chamber ensemble and a percussion ensemble. Korean performance art includes a wide range of styles and settings, such as classical court music, theatrical masked dance, popular storytelling songs, drama, popular narrative vocal arts, and solo instrumental folk genres, as well as the percussion music and dances of farmers. The group's artistic emphasis is on the subtle grace and beauty found in Korean traditional dances in which the dancers with powerful, yet delicate, gestures and movements reveal a unique aesthetic beauty. The dance troupe was founded and developed by Sue Yeon Park at the organization's inception in 1993, and has maintained an active performance schedule over the past 20 years. Under Park's direction, the organization has performed and hosted performances at major concert venues in the U.S., including Lincoln Center, national museums and national festival stages, introducing Korean music and dance to a wide array of audiences of diverse cultural backgrounds. In addition, Sounds of Korea performance troupe participates in community outreach programs, as well as cultural exhibitions. Its members consist of professionals of the highest caliber and individuals from the Korean community who are dedicated to promoting intercultural understanding and appreciation of Korea's artistic heritage and history. Musicians include Songhee Lee, Miji Park, Rebecca Hyun A Lee, Erica Seonjoo Lee, Jee Yun Hong, Nakyung Shin, Minjung Choe, Yuny Park, Jung-Hee Oh, Min Ji Park, Taehyung Kim, Sungwan Jeon and Sue Yeon Park. Dancers are Songhee Lee, Hae-Sun Jung, Rebecca Hyun A Lee, Erica Seonjoo Lee, Jee Yun Hong, Nakyung Shin and Sue Yeon Park.
- Related Resources
- American Folklife Center: http://www.loc.gov/folklife/
- Running Time
- 1 hours, 4 minutes, 7 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sounds of Korea: Traditional Music & Dance from New York. 2014. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-6555/.
APA citation style:
(2014) Sounds of Korea: Traditional Music & Dance from New York. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-6555/.
MLA citation style:
Sounds of Korea: Traditional Music & Dance from New York. 2014. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-6555/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoThe Western Flyers
- Date: 2015-02-02
Film, VideoFlory Jagoda: The Celebration Concert
- Contributor: Jagoda, Flory
- Date: 2013-09-21
Film, VideoThe Royal Harmonizers
- Date: 2015-03-18
Film, VideoAn Oral History of the Northern Kentucky Brotherhood
- Contributor: Northern Kentucky Brotherhood
- Date: 2013-08-07
Film, VideoThe Sherman Holmes Project with Brooks Long & Phil Wiggins
- Contributor: Holmes, Sherman - Long, Brooks - Wiggins, Phil
- Date: 2015-04-15