Film, Video Flory Jagoda: The Celebration Concert
About this Item
- Flory Jagoda: The Celebration Concert
- This concert celebrates Flory Jagoda's internationally recognized career as singer, composer and teacher of Sephardic song and will honor her role as "keeper of the flame" for preserving, perpetuating, and expanding this venerable Jewish cultural tradition. Family members and musical colleagues and from the Washington, D.C., area and beyond joined Jagoda to perform the songs that she has taught them in her quest to transmit her family's musical heritage and keep it vibrantly alive.
- Event Date
- September 21, 2013
- - A 2002 recipient of a National Heritage Fellowship, presented by the National Endowment for the Arts, Flory Jagoda later served as a master artist in the folklife apprenticeship program for the Virginia Foundation for the Humanities. Born in Sarajevo, Bosnia, in 1923, Jagoda learned many songs from her grandmother and other family members, who were known as the "Singing Altaras." Her original compositions and arrangements have been performed and recorded by singers and groups in the U.S. and Europe and many are now firmly entrenched in Sephardic song tradition.
- Related Resources
- American Folklife Center: https://www.loc.gov/folklife/
- Music & Performing Arts at the Library of Congress: https://www.loc.gov/rr/perform/
- Running Time
- 1 hours 51 minutes 14 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Flory Jagoda: The Celebration Concert. 2013. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-6673/.
APA citation style:
(2013) Flory Jagoda: The Celebration Concert. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-6673/.
MLA citation style:
Flory Jagoda: The Celebration Concert. 2013. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-6673/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoFlory Jagoda and Friends Flory Jagoda, with friends Susan Gaeta, Howard Bass, and Tina Chancey, performs traditional Sephardic music from the former Yugoslavia and other parts of the world as part of the Homegrown Concert Series...
- Contributor: Chancey, Tina - Jagoda, Flory - Bass, Howard - Gaeta, Susan
- Date: 2007-03-21
Film, VideoOral History with Traditional Artist Flory Jagoda In this interview with Howard Bass, singer and composer Flory Jagoda discusses her family and her life before, during, and after the Second World War and the influence these experiences had on...
- Contributor: Jagoda, Flory - Bass, Howard
- Date: 2013-11-20
Film, VideoA Concert of Ladino Music: Flory Jagoda In celebration of Women's History Month, the Library presented a concert of Ladino music with Flory Jagoda in performance with Tiffani Ferrantelli and Zhenya Tochenaya.
- Contributor: Jagoda, Flory
- Date: 2012-03-27
Film, VideoFlory's Flame A discussion of the documentary film on the life and music of Flory Jagoda by producers Curt Fissel and Ellen Friedland.
- Contributor: Fissel, Curt - Jagoda, Flory - Friedland, Ellen
- Date: 2015-01-21
Film, VideoFlory Jagoda and Friends Flory Jagoda with Susan Gaeta, Howard Bass, and Tina Chancey, performs traditional Sephardic music from the former Yugoslavia and other parts of the world at the Library of Congress, 2007. videorecording |...
- Contributor: Library of Congress - Chancey, Tina - Jagoda, Flory - Bass, Howard - Gaeta, Susan
- Date: 2007