Film, Video Andrea Hoag & Loretta Kelley: Swedish & Norwegian Fiddling
About this Item
- Andrea Hoag & Loretta Kelley: Swedish & Norwegian Fiddling
- A tour of Norwegian and Swedish fiddle styles with Andrea Hoag (violin) and Loretta Kelley (violin & Hardingfele/Hardanger fiddle). Andrea Hoag and Loretta Kelley are among the United States' foremost performers of Scandinavian traditional music. Each of them has spent years studying with tradition-bearers in Scandinavia, and honing their own techniques at home.
- Event Date
- February 18, 2015
- - Andrea Hoag, as the recipient of a fellowship from the Skandia Music Foundation, studied at Sweden's respected Malungs Folkhogskola, becoming the first non-Swede to earn the certificate in Folk Violin Pedagogy, in 1984. Her program included in-depth study with elder tradition-bearers Pekkos Gustaf and Nils Agenmark, masters of the complex, demanding Bingsjo fiddling dialect; Leif Goras and Jonny Soling of Orsa; singers Maria, Britta, and Anna Rojas of Boda; Kalle Almlof and Ville Toors of Malung; and Pahl Olle of Ostbjorka, who is acknowledged as the foremost creator of the Swedish close-harmony playing style. Since that time, Andrea has taken every opportunity to work with several generations of fiddlers from many parts of Sweden, and has been called "like Pekkos Gustaf come to life again" for her faithfulness to the elder generation's style. Hoag has long been acknowledged as a stateside expert of Swedish fiddle tradition. Her teaching credentials include the Festival of American Fiddle Tunes, Ashokan Fiddle & Dance Weeks, the Swannanoa Gathering, and the Berklee College of Music. She was director of the Seattle Skandia Spelmanslag for seven years, and led the group on an acclaimed performing tour to Sweden. She has been featured on NPR???s All Things Considered and Performance Today, at the Kennedy Center and Library of Congress, and at numerous venues around the U.S., Sweden, and beyond. With a particular interest in in-depth musical conversations, She has collaborated across genres with many respected artists, from blues harmonica virtuoso Phil Wiggins to Kathak dancer Brinda Guha.
- - Loretta Kelley has made over twenty-five trips to Norway to study with master hardingfele players. In 1979, while attending the Folk High School in Rauland in West Telemark, she studied privately for six months with Arne Oygarden, the leader of the Falkeriset Spelemannslag (fiddler's group) and a bearer of West Telemark tradition. In 1993 she received a grant from the American-Scandinavian Foundation to study for six weeks with the Londal-Fykerud tradition bearer Einar Londal of Tuddal, Telemark, and in 2001 she spent eight weeks in Tinn, Telemark, studying the Dahle tradition of hardingfele playing with the master fiddler Olav Oyaland, sponsored by a grant from the Norway-America Association. In addition she has studied intensively with the important tradition bearers Hauk and Knut Buen in Telemark, Jens A. Myro in Hallingdal, and Olav Jorgen Hegge of Oystre Slidre, Valdres, as well as made numerous study visits with Gunnar Dahle, Leif Rygg, Hallvard Bjorgum, Knut Myrann, and many others. In cooperation with Knut Buen, the Telemark virtuoso hardingfele player, Loretta has authored a booklet, "Knut Buen's Telemarkspel," of transcriptions of the tunes from Buen's teaching cassette. She has contributed two chapters to books published in Norway, "Hardingfela i Amerika" in Hardingfela, Det norske nasjonalinstrumentet by Halvard Kaasa and Astrid Versto (Grondahl Dreyer, 1997), and "Feleambassadoren Knut Buen", in Mellom hjertets slag og felas drag, Festskrift til Knut Buen (ed. Eivind Blikstad, Telemarksavisa, 1998). She has also written articles in print and online, and served as consultant and wrote extensive liner notes for an anthology of Knut Buen's playing, As Quick as Fire, published on CD by Rounder Records in 1996.
- Related Resources
- American Folklife Center: http://www.loc.gov/folklife/
- Running Time
- 1 hours, 2 minutes, 27 seconds
- Online Format
- online text
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Andrea Hoag & Loretta Kelley:Swedish & Norwegian Fiddling. 2015. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-6714/.
APA citation style:
(2015) Andrea Hoag & Loretta Kelley:Swedish & Norwegian Fiddling. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-6714/.
MLA citation style:
Andrea Hoag & Loretta Kelley:Swedish & Norwegian Fiddling. 2015. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-6714/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoHarmonia: Music of the Danube to the Carpathians from Ohio
- Date: 2013-07-11
Film, VideoLibaya Baba: Garifuna Music & Dance from California & New York
- Contributor: Palacio, Greg - Bernardez, Jeffrey - Bernardez, Kelsey - Bernardez, Dayton
- Date: 2013-07-02
Film, VideoThe Singing & Praying Band: African American a Capella Sacred Music from Delaware and Maryland
- Contributor: Singing & Praying Band
- Date: 2012-08-23
Film, VideoAn-Sky Ensemble Oral History
- Contributor: Alpert, Michael - Rushefsky, Pete - Raim, Ethel - Shulman-Ment, Jake
- Date: 2013-06-25
Film, VideoFlatpick Guitar & Fiddle Music from Kanawha County, W.Va.
- Date: 2012-08-16