Film, Video Bourgeois Town: Lead Belly in Washington DC
About this Item
- Bourgeois Town: Lead Belly in Washington DC
- To celebrate the 125th birthday of the legendary folk singer Huddie "Lead Belly" Ledbetter, Todd Harvey interviews Lead Belly family members Terika Dean and Alvin Singh on their famous relative, his contributions to American culture and world music and an overview of the significant Lead Belly materials in the Center's archive.
- Event Date
- April 24, 2015
- - Todd Harvey is an archivist with the American Folklife Center in the Library of Congress.
- - Alvin Singh is an author and entrepreneur who has served as a consultant for Fortune 500 organizations, governments, non-profits organizations and technology start-ups. As historical curator of the Lead Belly Archives, Singh provided material for major Lead Belly exhibits at the Grammy Museum and the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Co-author of the book "Lead Belly: A Life in Pictures," he currently lives in South Africa.
- - Terika Dean is Lead Belly's great-great niece. She is a board member for the Lead Belly Foundation and currently works as the licensing manager for the Lead Belly Estate. She assisted with the recently-opened exhibit "Lead Belly: A Musical Legacy" at the Grammy Museum in Los Angles and the just-released CD boxed-set "Lead Belly: The Smithsonian Folkways Collection."
- Related Resources
- American Folklife Center: https://www.loc.gov/folklife/
- Running Time
- 59 minutes 12 seconds
- Online Format
- Original Format
- film, video
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Bourgeois Town: Lead Belly in Washington DC. 2015. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-6854/.
APA citation style:
(2015) Bourgeois Town: Lead Belly in Washington DC. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-6854/.
MLA citation style:
Bourgeois Town: Lead Belly in Washington DC. 2015. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-6854/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoOpen Mic with Jayme Stone
- Contributor: Stone, Jayme - Harvey, Todd
- Date: 2017-05-04
Film, VideoJuan Felipe Herrera Discusses Alan Lomax & Woody Guthrie
- Contributor: Herrera, Juan Felipe - Harvey, Todd
- Date: 2015-09-09
Film, VideoLibrary Folklife Collections Orientation for the National Association of Black Storytellers
- Contributor: Peterson, Elizabeth - Kerst, Catherine - Harvey, Todd - Harris, Megan - Morris, Valda - Shankar, Guha
- Date: 2015-11-13
Film, VideoWomen Documenting the World (Afternoon Session)
- Contributor: Peterson, Elizabeth - Rasmussen, Anne - Harvey, Todd - Groce, Nancy - Taylor, Candacy - Gilman, Lisa - Holmgren, Meredith
- Date: 2019-09-26
Film, VideoOpen Mic: Stories from StoryCorps
- Contributor: Lopez, Felix - Blech, Naomi - Todd, Stacey - Groce, Nancy - Cooper, Talya - Peterson, Elizabeth
- Date: 2016-04-26