Film, Video Carter Family Tribute
About this Item
- Carter Family Tribute
- In honor of Janette Carter's achievement as a performer and an organizer, the American Folklife Center present a Carter Family Tribute Concert, featuring prominent country and old-time musicians, hosted by Joe Wilson, former director of the National Council for Traditional Arts, as part of the Homegrown 2005 Concert Series.
- Event Date
- September 20, 2005
- - The Original Carter Family was the most influential group in early country music, recording dozens of hit songs between 1927 and 1941. Made up of A. P. Carter, his wife Sara Carter, and her cousin Maybelle Carter (who got the Carter surname by marrying A. P.'s brother Ezra), the group established many of the conventions of the genre, including styles of guitar playing and vocal harmony that remained standard for years. The Carters also collected and arranged many folk songs from both white and black traditions, bringing folk ballads, lyric songs and blues firmly into popular Country music. One of the recipients of the National Heritage Fellowship Award is country singer and autoharp player Janette Carter, one of A. P. and Sara's daughters. Janette has labored for years to preserve the legacy of the Carter Family, and in 1979 founded the Hiltons, Virginia music venue The Carter Family Fold.
- Related Resources
- Carter Family Tribute Homegrown Concert Event Flyer: https://www.loc.gov/folklife/events/HomegrownArchives/0405-folklifeconcerts_files/CarterFamily.pdf
- American Folklife Center: https://www.loc.gov/folklife/index.html
- Running Time
- 1 hours 3 minutes 2 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Carter Family Tribute. 2005. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-701/.
APA citation style:
(2005) Carter Family Tribute. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-701/.
MLA citation style:
Carter Family Tribute. 2005. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-701/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoCarlos Nunez: Galician Bagpipes & Flutes
- Contributor: Nunez, Carlos
- Date: 2014-08-19
Film, VideoGerdan, Kaleidoscope of World Music
- Contributor: Pidkivka, Andrei - Kirilov, Kalin - Gorokhivska, Solomia
- Date: 2014-05-22
Film, VideoThe Quebe Sisters Band: Texas Fiddle & Swing
- Contributor: Quebe Sisters Band
- Date: 2014-08-20
Film, VideoSounds of Korea: Traditional Music & Dance from New York
- Contributor: Sounds of Korea
- Date: 2014-07-23
Film, VideoPhil Wiggins & Friends: Acoustical Blues & Dance from Maryland
- Contributor: Wiggins, Phil - Franklin, Rick - Brickhouse, Junious - Moore, Marcus Childs
- Date: 2014-08-06