Film, Video Malala Yousafzai: Warrior with Words
About this Item
- Malala Yousafzai: Warrior with Words
- Karen Leggett Abouraya discussed her new book, "Malala Yousafzai: Warrior with Words." Abouraya shared the Nobel Peace Prize winner's story through illustrations and graphics from her book, adding historical photos and maps to put this material in context. As part of Women's History Month, she also brought along teens from Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School and members of School Girls United organization to share their service and philanthropic activities to help at-risk girls around the world.
- Event Date
- March 04, 2015
- - Karen Leggett Abouraya is an author and former broadcast journalist. Her first children's book, "Hands Around the Library: Protecting Egypt's Treasured Books" won the Arab American and the Children's Africana book awards. "Malala Yousafzai: Warrior with Words" is her second children's book. She has reviewed children's books and interviewed authors for the New York Times, the Baltimore Sun, Children's Literature, Washington parent and others. She is a past-president of the Children's Book Guild of Washington, D.C.
- Related Resources
- Center for the Book: http://www.read.gov/cfb/
- Young Readers Center: http://www.read.gov/yrc/
- Running Time
- 50 minutes 9 seconds
- Online Format
- online text
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Malala Yousafzai: Warrior with Words. 2015. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7123/.
APA citation style:
(2015) Malala Yousafzai: Warrior with Words. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7123/.
MLA citation style:
Malala Yousafzai: Warrior with Words. 2015. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7123/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoHands Around the Library: Protecting Egypt's Treasured Books Author Karen Leggett Abouraya shares her book. "Hands Around the Library: Protecting Egypt's Treasured Books," with elementary students from the District of Columbia. The story takes place during the Arab Spring of...
- Contributor: Leggett Abouraya, Karen
- Date: 2014-04-09
Film, VideoThe Road to Home: My Life and Times Vartan Gregorian, president of Carnegie Corporation of New York, discussed his new autobiography
- Contributor: Gregorian, Vartan
- Date: 2003-05-19
Film, VideoJudgment Days: Lyndon Baines Johnson, Martin Luther King Jr. and the Laws That Changed America Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Nick Kotz discussed his new book, "Judgment Days: Lyndon Baines Johnson, Martin Luther King Jr. and the Laws That Changed America" (Houghton Mifflin, 2005), where he draws upon newly...
- Contributor: Kotz, Nick
- Date: 2005-03-01
Film, VideoThe Cherry Blossom Festival: Sakura Celebration Ann McClellan discussed her new book, "The Cherry Blossom Festival: Sakura Celebration," at the Library of Congress at on Wednesday, March 30, 2005. The lavishly illustrated volume chronicles the history of the...
- Contributor: McClellan, Ann
- Date: 2005-03-30
Film, VideoNational Literary Society of the Deaf Becomes Center for the Book Reading Promotion Partner A program of public events at the Library marked the new partnership between the Center for the Book and the National Literary Society of the Deaf. The Center for the Book, NLSD,...
- Date: 2007-03-13