Film, Video Breaking Ground: My Life in Medicine
About this Item
- Breaking Ground: My Life in Medicine
- The remarkable life of Dr. Louis W. Sullivan, who spent his childhood in Jim Crow southern Georgia in the 1930s, became a physician, went on to found the Morehouse School of Medicine and was appointed secretary of Health and Human Services, is recounted in his new book, "Breaking Ground: My Life in Medicine".
- Event Date
- February 24, 2016
- - At the age of five, Louis Sullivan told his mother that he wanted to be a doctor. At the time, schools in Blakely, Georgia, were segregated, so his parents sent him to Savannah and later to Atlanta for his education. After graduating from Morehouse College, he attended medical school at Boston University, where he was the sole African American in his class. Several years later, the dean at Morehouse asked him to found a medical school there. During that time, Sullivan developed a relationship with George H.W. Bush, who appointed him Secretary of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, where he served from 1989-1993.
- Related Resources
- Center for the Book: http://www.read.gov/cfb/
- Running Time
- 1 hours, 3 minutes, 35 seconds
- Online Format
- online text
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Breaking Ground: My Life in Medicine. 2016. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7200/.
APA citation style:
(2016) Breaking Ground: My Life in Medicine. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7200/.
MLA citation style:
Breaking Ground: My Life in Medicine. 2016. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7200/>.