Film, Video The Struggle for Fairness: National Origin Quotas and the Immigration Act of 1965
About this Item
- The Struggle for Fairness: National Origin Quotas and the Immigration Act of 1965
- On the 50th anniversary of Immigration Amendments Act of 1965, Ruth Wasem discusses the history of the legislative drive to end race- and nationality-based immigration, from World War II to the passage of the Act, and the importance of the effort in defining the nation that America is today. Following the lecture, two distinguished scholars of immigration, Susan F. Martin and Marta Tienda, provide commentary and discussion.
- Event Date
- October 08, 2015
- - Ruth Wasem is Kluge Staff Fellow and a domestic policy specialist in the Library's Congressional Research Service.
- - Susan F. Martin is Donald G. Herzberg professor of international migration and director of the Institute for the Study of International Migration at Georgetown University.
- - Marta Tienda is Morris P. During Professor in demographic studies, professor of sociology and public affairs, and director of the program in Latino studies at Princeton University.
- Related Resources
- John W. Kluge Center: http://www.loc.gov/kluge/
- Running Time
- 1 hours, 27 minutes, 17 seconds
- Online Format
- online text
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
The Struggle for Fairness: National Origin Quotas and the Immigration Act of. 2015. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7245/.
APA citation style:
(2015) The Struggle for Fairness: National Origin Quotas and the Immigration Act of. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7245/.
MLA citation style:
The Struggle for Fairness: National Origin Quotas and the Immigration Act of. 2015. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7245/>.