Film, Video The Playford Assembly: 100 Years of Country Dance & Song
About this Item
- The Playford Assembly: 100 Years of Country Dance & Song
- Dance historian Graham Christian discussed his new book, "The Playford Assembly," a major new collection of historic English dances published by the Country Dance and Song Society in celebration of its centennial year. Christian's talk will be enhanced by demonstrations of the dances by CDSS dancers and musicians. "The Playford Assembly" (a follow-up to the seminal 1990 collection "The Playford Ball," also published by CDSS) features 125 historical dances edited for use by contemporary dancers and dance leaders. Reflecting recent scholarship, it revives many of the older dances based on the advice of a committee convened by the author. He will discuss his selection process and the history of English country dance in England and the United States, as well as cultural aspects of the era in which the dances were created.
- January 30, 2016
- - Providing examples of English country dances for this lecture are Liz Donaldson on piano and David Knight on violin (musicians); and Caroline Barnes, Graham Christian, Mary Jones, Eric Masters, Sharon McKinley, David Roodman, David Shewmaker, Stephanie Smith, Cynthia Whear and Joanna Reiner Wilkinson (dancers).
- - Graham Christian is a dance historian, English dance leader, choreographer, director and musician from Amherst, Massachusetts. He holds a doctorate in 17th century English literature from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst. He is also a librarian who holds a master's degree in library and information science from Simmons College. He writes the dance history column "Tell Me More" for the CDSS News, appears as a caller for English Country dances all over the U.S., and is a frequent presenter at academic conferences on the history of social dance.
- American Folklife Center: https://www.loc.gov/folklife/
- 1 hours 26 minutes 29 seconds
- online text
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
The Playford Assembly: 100 Years of Country Dance & Song. 2016. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7280/.
APA citation style:
(2016) The Playford Assembly: 100 Years of Country Dance & Song. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7280/.
MLA citation style:
The Playford Assembly: 100 Years of Country Dance & Song. 2016. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7280/>.