Film, Video "The President's Own" United States Marine Band
About this Item
- "The President's Own" United States Marine Band
- A survey of music for wind ensemble that includes some of the great composers for winds, such as Stravinsky and Mozart, with music by Oliver Knussen's colleagues Carter and Lieberson. Elliott Carter's "Wind Rose" was composed at Knussen's suggestion, and the world premiere was delivered with the BBC Symphony Orchestra at the Barbican Centre in London in 2008. The program includes Sibelius/Stravinsky "Canzonetta, op. 62a," Schuller "Double Quintet," Lieberson "Wind Messengers," Stravinsky "Symphonies of Wind Instruments" (1920 version), Carter "Wind Rose" (dedicated to Knussen) and Mozart "Serenade in B-flat major for winds, KV. 361."
- Event Date
- April 12, 2014
- Related Resources
- Music & Performing Arts at the Library of Congress: https://www.loc.gov/rr/perform/
- Running Time
- 1 hours 42 minutes 5 seconds
- Online Format
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
"The President's Own" United States Marine Band. 2014. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7389/.
APA citation style:
(2014) "The President's Own" United States Marine Band. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7389/.
MLA citation style:
"The President's Own" United States Marine Band. 2014. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7389/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoPacifica Quartet & Jörg Widmann The exuberant Pacifica Quartet joins forces with German composer and clarinetist Jörg Widmann for a program featuring Haydn's Quartet in G major, op. 76, no. 1; Widmann's String Quartet no. 3 ("Jagdquartett");...
- Contributor: Pacifica Quartet - Widmann, Jörg
- Date: 2017-01-23
Film, VideoMusicians from Marlboro Concert January 2017 Members of Musicians from Marlboro perform Haydn's Quartet in D major, op. 76, no. 5, HIII:79; Selections from Beethoven's "Irische Lieder, WoO 152" ("Irish Songs"); "On Wenlock Edge" by Ralph Vaughan Williams;...
- Contributor: Musicians from Marlboro
- Date: 2017-01-25
Film, VideoEither/Or Concert Either/Or, a New York-based contemporary music ensemble, performs Anthony Braxton's "Composition no. 222" (a McKim Fund in the Library of Congress commission), Richard Carrick's "La Scène Miniature," Beat Furrer's "Spur," Anna Thorvaldsdottir's...
- Contributor: Either/Or
- Date: 2017-02-18
Film, VideoSteven Isserlis & Connie Shih Concert Cellist Steven Isserlis and pianist Connie Shih perform Shostakovich's Sonata for cello and piano in D minor, op. 40; Martinů's Sonata no. 1 for cello and piano, H. 277; Hahn's "Deux improvisations...
- Contributor: Isserlis, Steven - Shih, Connie
- Date: 2017-04-21
Film, VideoMusicians from Marlboro Concert March 2017 Musicians from Marlboro performs works representative of the Viennese schools. On the program are Haydn's Quartet in G minor ("The Rider"), op. 74, no. 3, HIII: 74; Webern's String Quartet (1905); and...
- Contributor: Musicians from Marlboro
- Date: 2017-03-22