Film, Video Schools that Peter the Great Built: Projectors & the State in Early Modern Russia
About this Item
- Schools that Peter the Great Built: Projectors & the State in Early Modern Russia
- Igor Fedyukin focused on his current research for a book which, among other points, refutes the received wisdom that Peter I single-handedly designed schools and other institutions and forced them on an unwilling Russian public. A greater role was played by the administrative entrepreneurs (or "projecteurs," as they were called) who pursued their own career goals and pet ideas, and competed for status and resources. Fedyukin examined the relative roles of individual initiative and the state, in the context of the Westernizing autocracy.
- Event Date
- May 11, 2016
- - Igor Fedyukin is associatepProfessor of history at the National Research University, Higher School of Economics (Moscow) and a visiting fellow at the Woodrow Wilson Center for Scholars.
- Related Resources
- European Division: https://www.loc.gov/rr/european/
- Running Time
- 56 minutes 44 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Schools that Peter the Great Built: Projectors & the State in Early Modern Russia. 2016. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7413/.
APA citation style:
(2016) Schools that Peter the Great Built: Projectors & the State in Early Modern Russia. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7413/.
MLA citation style:
Schools that Peter the Great Built: Projectors & the State in Early Modern Russia. 2016. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7413/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoMy Grandmother Told Me We Have Indian Blood: Memory, Heritage & Native American Identity
- Contributor: Smithers, Gregory
- Date: 2016-11-02
Film, VideoIf Venice Dies
- Contributor: Wise, Michael - Settis, Salvatore
- Date: 2016-10-27
Film, VideoGirl: My Childhood & the Second World War
- Contributor: Frankel, Alona
- Date: 2016-11-17
Film, VideoItalian Cuisine in the World
- Contributor: Miracco, Renato - Marchetti, Domenica
- Date: 2016-11-14
Film, VideoQuantifying the Soviet Economic & Social Crisis of 1920: Food Supply, Rail Transport, Fuel, Demographics
- Contributor: Kapiloff, Jonathan
- Date: 2016-09-29