Film, Video NOKA: Basque Song & Music from California
About this Item
- NOKA: Basque Song & Music from California
- A concert by NOKA, which specializes in songs about Basque culture, gender, and identity. They are particularly interested in songs that use Noka, a familiar form of address historically used in speaking to a girl or woman in whom one had konfiantza or trust.
- Event Date
- July 06, 2016
- - NOKA is a trio composed of Andréa Bidart, Begoña Echeverria, and Cathy Petrissans, the daughters and granddaughters of Basque immigrants who grew up together in Chino, California. They are members of the Chino Basque club and were raised speaking and singing in Basque. In 1997, they formed the singing trio NOKA and have since recorded three albums and toured internationally. In this concert they are joined by Mikel Markez a poet, singer, and songwriter from Errenteria, Gipuzkoa, Spain.
- Related Resources
- American Folklife Center: https://www.loc.gov/folklife/
- Running Time
- 59 minutes 53 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
NOKA: Basque Song & Music from California. 2016. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7502/.
APA citation style:
(2016) NOKA: Basque Song & Music from California. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7502/.
MLA citation style:
NOKA: Basque Song & Music from California. 2016. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7502/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoCarter Family Tribute
- Contributor: Carter Family
- Date: 2005-09-20
Film, VideoThe Sama Ensemble
- Contributor: Ensemble, Sama
- Date: 2007-04-25
Film, VideoFlory Jagoda and Friends
- Contributor: Chancey, Tina - Jagoda, Flory - Bass, Howard - Gaeta, Susan
- Date: 2007-03-21
- Contributor: Gandydancer Stringband
- Date: 2007-12-12
Film, VideoHoop Dances by Dallas Chief Eagle and Jasmine Pickner
- Contributor: Eagle, Dallas Chief - Pickner, Jasmine
- Date: 2007-11-15