Film, Video Winston Groom & Colson Whitehead: 2016 National Book Festival
About this Item
- Winston Groom & Colson Whitehead: 2016 National Book Festival
- Winston Groom presents "El Paso" and Colson Whitehead presents "The Underground Railroad" in a book launch event and panel discussion on historical fiction with Audie Cornish from NPR at the 2016 Library of Congress Book Festival in Washington, D.C.
- Event Date
- September 24, 2016
- - After graduating from Harvard, Colson Whitehead began his writing career at the Village Voice, where he wrote reviews of television, books and music. His first novel, "The Intuitionist," concerned intrigue in New York's Department of Elevator Inspectors and was a finalist for the PEN/Hemingway Award. His 2006 novel, "Apex Hides the Hurt," is about a "nomenclature consultant," who gets an assignment to name a town; it won a PEN/Oakland Award. "Sag Harbor" was a Pen/Faulkner Award finalist. His new novel is "The Underground Railroad".
- - Winston Groom is a best-selling author well-known for his book "Forrest Gump," which was adapted into an Academy Award-winning film. He also wrote the sequel "Gump and Co." As a non-fiction writer, he has published a range of titles including "Conversations with the Enemy: The Story of PFC Robert Garwood," "Ronald Reagan: Our 40th President," "Shiloh, 1862," "The Aviators: Eddie Rickenbacker, Jimmy Doolittle, Charles Lindbergh and the Epic Age of Flight" and "The Generals: Patton, MacArthur, Marshall and the Winning of World War II." With his latest book, Groom returns to writing fiction for the first time in over a decade. His new epic American adventure novel "El Paso" is set during the Mexican Revolution and border wars of the twentieth century and pits legendary outlaw and revolutionary Pancho Villa against a thrill-seeking railroad tycoon known as the Colonel. Before his career as a novelist and non-fiction writer, Groom served in the army during the Vietnam War and later worked as a journalist.
- Related Resources
- National Book Festival: https://www.loc.gov/bookfest
- Running Time
- 43 minutes 54 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Winston Groom & Colson Whitehead:National Book Festival. 2016. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7547/.
APA citation style:
(2016) Winston Groom & Colson Whitehead:National Book Festival. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7547/.
MLA citation style:
Winston Groom & Colson Whitehead:National Book Festival. 2016. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7547/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoColson Whitehead: 2012 National Book Festival
- Contributor: Whitehead, Colson
- Date: 2012-09-22
Film, VideoColson Whitehead: 2009 National Book Festival
- Contributor: Whitehead, Colson
- Date: 2009-09-26
Film, VideoRace in America: Colson Whitehead
- Contributor: Whitehead, Colson - Hayden, Carla
- Date: 2020-07-16
Film, Video2016 National Book Festival Welcome
- Contributor: McCullough, David - Roberts, Cokie - Rubenstein, David M. - Deaver, Jeffery
- Date: 2016-08-04
Film, VideoStephen King on Literacy
- Contributor: King, Stephen
- Date: 2016-09-24