Film, Video Homegrown Oral History: Soumya Chakraverty & Devapriya Nayak
About this Item
- Homegrown Oral History: Soumya Chakraverty & Devapriya Nayak
- Soumya Chakraverty and Devapriya Nayak talk about their history as musicians and the influence of music in their culture with Yasmeen Rauf Khan.
- Event Date
- July 08, 2016
- - Devapriya Nayak (Debu) was born in West Bengal, India, and began learning tabla at the age of three from his grandfather, Chaudhury Kausalya Nandan, an accomplished tabla player of the Punjab Gharana. Later, Debu became a disciple of Pt. Radhakanta Nandi of the Benares Gharana. In 1981, Debu continued his tabla training in the US from Maestros Ustad Zakir Hussain, Pandit Anindo Chatergee and Pt. Samir Chaterjee. His performance at the Kennedy Center with Gaurav Majumdar earned him wide accolades in Washington music circles. Debu is the director of the DC Chapter of Chhandayan, a tabla school dedicated to the promotion of tabla and Indian classical music.
- - Soumya Chakraverty took up playing the sarod when he was 11 under the tutelage of Pt. Samarendranath Sikdar, a senior disciple of the late Pt. Radhika Mohan Maitra of the Shahjahanpur Gharana. Chakraverty played frequently on All India Radio Calcutta between 1990 and 1995. While pursuing his education in Australia, he began to collaborate with other forms of world music, and performed live with a flamenco dancer in a production that combined the Gypsy roots of the dance with Latin American percussion, Middle Eastern vocals, and Indian classical instrumental music. He has been performing throughout the US and neighboring countries. His focus remains on traditional Hindustani instrumental music, and he continues to work with other music genres such classical carnatic (south Indian), compositions of Rabindranath and Nazrul, flamenco, jazz, and Latin American percussion.
- Related Resources
- American Folklife Center: https://www.loc.gov/folklife/
- Running Time
- 1 hours 47 minutes 42 seconds
- Online Format
- Original Format
- film, video
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Homegrown Oral History: Soumya Chakraverty & Devapriya Nayak. 2016. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7562/.
APA citation style:
(2016) Homegrown Oral History: Soumya Chakraverty & Devapriya Nayak. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7562/.
MLA citation style:
Homegrown Oral History: Soumya Chakraverty & Devapriya Nayak. 2016. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7562/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoSoumya Chakraverty & Devapriya Nayak: Traditional Hindustani Music from Virginia
- Contributor: Nayak (Debu), Devapriya - Chakraverty, Soumya
- Date: 2016-05-06
Film, VideoThe Sama Ensemble
- Contributor: Ensemble, Sama
- Date: 2007-04-25
Film, VideoFlory Jagoda and Friends
- Contributor: Chancey, Tina - Jagoda, Flory - Bass, Howard - Gaeta, Susan
- Date: 2007-03-21
Film, VideoTim Tingle & D.J. Battiest-Tomasi
- Contributor: Tingle, Tim - Battiest-Tomasi, D.J.
- Date: 2011-06-29
Film, VideoKiu Haghighi with Tooraj Moshref-Zadeh: Persian Santour and Tombak Music from Illinois
- Contributor: Haghighi, Kiu
- Date: 2011-07-20