Film, Video Martha Graham Dance Company Performs World Premiere of Woodland
About this Item
- Martha Graham Dance Company Performs World Premiere of Woodland
- The Martha Graham Dance Company performs the world premiere of Pontus Lidberg's "Woodland," a Library of Congress 90th anniversary season commission set to the music of Irving Fine's "Notturno" for strings and harp. Also featured on the program are performances of "Appalachian Spring," "Cave of the Heart," and "Dark Meadow" Suite. Part of the "Martha Graham at the Library" Festival.
- Event Date
- April 01, 2016
- - The Martha Graham Dance Company has been a leader in contemporary dance since 1926. Today, the company is embracing a new programming vision that showcases masterpieces by Graham alongside newly commissioned works by contemporary artists. With programs that offer a rich thematic narrative, the Company creates new platforms for contemporary dance and multiple points of access for audiences. The company has had a long-standing collaborative relationship with the Library of Congress that has led to multiple dance and music commissions. The company is led by Janet Eilber (artistic director) and LaRue Allen (executive director).
- Related Resources
- Music & Performing Arts at the Library of Congress: https://www.loc.gov/rr/perform/
- Running Time
- 1 hours 48 minutes 59 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Martha Graham Dance Company Performs World Premiere of Woodland. 2016. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7651/.
APA citation style:
(2016) Martha Graham Dance Company Performs World Premiere of Woodland. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7651/.
MLA citation style:
Martha Graham Dance Company Performs World Premiere of Woodland. 2016. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7651/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoDanny Kaye Website Launch At an evening celebration on March 19, the Library launched a website featuring 2,000 items from its Danny Kaye and Sylvia Fine Collection.
- Date: 2013-03-19
Film, VideoSamuel Barber: Serendipitous Discoveries Barbara Heyman discussed the life and music of American composer Samuel Barber (1910-1981), focusing on how inscriptions and quotations on primary source material reveal striking aspects of his compositional approach. Heyman shed...
- Contributor: Heyman, Barbara
- Date: 2012-10-02
Film, VideoA Conversation with Morton Subotnick Morton Subotnick discussed his musical works in a conversation prior to the Library's annual Founder's Day Concert.
- Contributor: Subotnick, Morton
- Date: 2012-11-09
Film, VideoBurt Bacharach on Composing Burt Bacharach was interviewed at the Library while he was here to receive the Gershwin Prize for Popular Song (along with his frequent collaborator, lyricist Hal David). The interview focuses on Bacharach's...
- Contributor: Bacharach, Burt - Horowitz, Mark
- Date: 2012-05-08
Film, VideoFounder's Day Concert Featuring the Music of Morton Subotnick The Library hosted a concert featuring the music of Morton Subotnik. "Trembling," an early foray into "Ghost" electronics, is the opener for the world premiere of a new Subotnick work, a 30...
- Date: 2012-11-09