Film, Video Artemio Posadas: Mexican Music & Dance from California
About this Item
- Artemio Posadas: Mexican Music & Dance from California
- In this performance of Mexican music and dance, Artemio Posadas is accompanied by Russell Rodriguez, Dolores Garcia and Mary Ann Zahorsky.
- Event Date
- September 28, 2016
- - Artemio Posadas is a musician, dancer, teacher, and tireless cultural organizer, and this year's Bess Lomax Hawes National Heritage Fellow for his commitment to the Mexican tradition of son huasteco. The son of a traditional violinist, he was born in 1948 and raised in the northeastern Mexican state of San Luis Potosi, in the cultural region known as La Huasteca. As a youth, Posadas became fascinated with the region's music known as son huasteco, with its singing style embellished with falsetto breaks and a rich practice of poetic, instrumental, and dance improvisation. He learned the music's three instruments-huapanguera (large rhythm guitar), jarana (small guitar), and violin-as well as traditional repertoire and dance style. Since 1990 he has taught the son huasteco (along with the son jarocho and other regional forms of son) at Richmond's East Bay Center for the Performing Arts, helping to anchor the growth and understanding of authentic son in the greater San Francisco Bay Area. Musician, anthropologist, and Posadas disciple Russell Rodriguez sums up Posadas's contributions: "The arrival of Artemio Posadas to the Bay Area of California was a blessing. He modeled how traditional arts, such as the dance, poetry, and music of the son mexicano, are significant in our daily lives."
- Related Resources
- American Folklife Center: https://www.loc.gov/folklife/
- Running Time
- 58 minutes 22 seconds
- Online Format
- Original Format
- film, video
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Artemio Posadas: Mexican Music & Dance from California. 2016. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7723/.
APA citation style:
(2016) Artemio Posadas: Mexican Music & Dance from California. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7723/.
MLA citation style:
Artemio Posadas: Mexican Music & Dance from California. 2016. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7723/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoCarlos Nunez: Galician Bagpipes & Flutes
- Contributor: Nunez, Carlos
- Date: 2014-08-19
Film, VideoGerdan, Kaleidoscope of World Music
- Contributor: Pidkivka, Andrei - Kirilov, Kalin - Gorokhivska, Solomia
- Date: 2014-05-22
Film, VideoThe Quebe Sisters Band: Texas Fiddle & Swing
- Contributor: Quebe Sisters Band
- Date: 2014-08-20
Film, VideoSounds of Korea: Traditional Music & Dance from New York
- Contributor: Sounds of Korea
- Date: 2014-07-23
Film, VideoPhil Wiggins & Friends: Acoustical Blues & Dance from Maryland
- Contributor: Wiggins, Phil - Franklin, Rick - Brickhouse, Junious - Moore, Marcus Childs
- Date: 2014-08-06