Film, Video Gabriel Muñoz & Melodias Borinqueñas: Puerto Rican Folk Music from New Jersey
About this Item
- Gabriel Muñoz & Melodias Borinqueñas: Puerto Rican Folk Music from New Jersey
- Using their unique sounds on display in this concert, Gabriel Muñoz & Melodias Borinqueñas hope to introduce Puerto Rican folk music to many people around the world, and also to provide a nostalgic experience to Puerto Ricans living away from their homeland.
- Event Date
- September 22, 2015
- - The Melodias Borinqueñas band features Gabriel Muñoz on cuatro, Anibal Ortiz on guitar, Mariano Medina on congas, Ivan Rodriguez on bongos, Ana Ortiz on guiro, and Hector Hernandez on vocals.
- - On his 15th birthday, Gabriel Muñoz received his first cuatro as a gift, which he says changed his life forever. He then began honing his skills on the instrument through constant practice and immersing himself in the cuatro and in Puerto Rican music. He sought advice and wisdom from other cuatro players, including the well known master Alvin Medina, in order to perfect his craft. Approximately 6 years ago Muñoz co-founded the musical ensemble Melodias Borinqueñas (Melodies from Puerto Rico).
- Related Resources
- American Folklife Center: https://www.loc.gov/folklife/
- Running Time
- 1 hours 6 minutes 44 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Gabriel Muñoz & Melodias Borinqueñas: Puerto Rican Folk Music from New Jersey. 2015. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7759/.
APA citation style:
(2015) Gabriel Muñoz & Melodias Borinqueñas: Puerto Rican Folk Music from New Jersey. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7759/.
MLA citation style:
Gabriel Muñoz & Melodias Borinqueñas: Puerto Rican Folk Music from New Jersey. 2015. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7759/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoPuerto Rican Cuatro Performance by Gabriel Munoz Gabriel Muñoz performed the Puerto Rican cuatro and discussed a brief history of the instrument and music.
- Contributor: Muñoz, Gabriel
- Date: 2015-10-06
Film, VideoGabriel Muñoz Oral History Musician Gabriel Muñoz talks about his life and work with folklorist Dan Sheehy.
- Contributor: Sheehy, Dan - Muñoz, Gabriel
- Date: 2016-09-22
Film, VideoA Spanish Reading of Hemingway Douglas LaPrade presents a lecture on Ernest Hemingway.
- Contributor: Laprade, Douglas
- Date: 2016-10-05
Film, VideoQueer Iberia: Sexualities & Crossings from the Middle Ages to the Renaissance Josiah Blackmore and Gregory Hutcheson discuss their book "Queer Iberia," which looks at the sexual diversity that proliferated during the period between the 10th and the 16th centuries when political hegemony in...
- Contributor: Blackmore, Josiah - Hutcheson, Gregory
- Date: 2016-10-13
Film, VideoThe Cosmic Race: Who Are Hispanics Anyway? Marie Arana is the author of both non-fiction and fiction books. This event commemorates Hispanic Heritage Month.
- Contributor: Arana, Marie
- Date: 2013-09-19