Film, Video Noka Oral History
About this Item
- Noka Oral History
- Members of the Noka Trio and Mikel Markez discuss their music and its origins.
- Event Date
- July 06, 2016
- - Andréa Bidart, Begoña Echeverria and Cathy Petrissans are the daughters and granddaughters of Basque immigrants who grew up together in Chino, California. As Noka, they specialize in songs about Basque culture, gender, and identity. They are particularly interested in songs that use Noka, a familiar form of address historically used in speaking to a girl or woman in whom one had konfiantza or trust. Noka has almost disappeared from everyday speech, but it is still used among some immigrants. Mikel Markez, a singer and songwriter from the Basque Country, joined Noka for their concert at the Library of Congress.
- Related Resources
- American Folklife Center: https://www.loc.gov/folklife/
- Running Time
- 43 minutes, 29 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Noka Oral History. 2016. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7762/.
APA citation style:
(2016) Noka Oral History. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7762/.
MLA citation style:
Noka Oral History. 2016. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7762/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoAn-sky Yiddish Heritage Ensemble: Klezmer & Other Yiddish Music from New York
- Contributor: Alpert, Michael - Rushefsky, Pete - Raim, Ethel - Shulman-Ment, Jake
- Date: 2013-06-26
Film, VideoOral History with Harmonia Band
- Contributor: Fedoriouk, Alexander - Pidkivka, Andrei - Austin, Thea - Mikhailovich, Walt
- Date: 2013-07-11
Film, VideoNorthern Kentucky Brotherhood Singers
- Contributor: Northern Kentucky Brotherhood Singers
- Date: 2013-08-07
Film, VideoKalanidhi Dance: Traditional Kuchipudi from Maryland
- Contributor: Kalanidhi Dance Company
- Date: 2013-08-14
Film, VideoLos Texmaniacs: Traditional Conjunto Dance Music from Texas
- Contributor: Los Texmanics
- Date: 2013-09-11