Film, Video Zulal Trio & Ara Dinkjian Oral History
About this Item
- Zulal Trio & Ara Dinkjian Oral History
- Members of the Zulal Trio discuss the history of the group and their music.
- Event Date
- May 28, 2015
- - Ara Dinkjian is an American-born artist who grew up with traditional Armenian music. His earliest professional musical experience was accompanying his father Onnik Dinkjian, a renowned Armenian folk and liturgical singer. Dinkjian learned several western and eastern instruments (piano, guitar, dumbeg, clarinet) and in 1980 graduated from the Hartt College of Music, earning the country's first and only special degree in the instrument for which he has become most well-known, the oud. For more th an 40 years, he served as organist in the Armenian Apostolic Church. Throughout his musical life, Ara has continued to develop his highly personal compositional style which blends his eastern and western roots.
- - In Armenian, Zulal means "clear water." Zulal, the New York-based a cappella trio, takes Armenia's village folk melodies and weaves intricate arrangements that pay tribute to the rural roots of the music while introducing contemporary lyricism and energy. Zulal's singers, Teni Apelian, Yeraz Markarian and Anaïs Tekerian have been singing together since 2002.
- Related Resources
- American Folklife Center: https://www.loc.gov/folklife/
- Running Time
- 35 minutes 40 seconds
- Online Format
- online text
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Zulal Trio & Ara Dinkjian Oral History. 2015. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7807/.
APA citation style:
(2015) Zulal Trio & Ara Dinkjian Oral History. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7807/.
MLA citation style:
Zulal Trio & Ara Dinkjian Oral History. 2015. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7807/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoAra & Onnik Dinkjian Sextet Concert For this concert, Armenian folk singers Onnik and Ara Dinkjian are joined by an ensemble of outstanding instrumentalists: Tamer Pinarbasi (kanun), Ismail Lumanovski (clarinet), Pablo Vergara (keyboard), Panagiotis Andreou (bass) and Engin...
- Contributor: Dinkjian, Ara - Dinkjian, Onnik
- Date: 2018-07-03
Film, VideoAra & Onnik Dinkjian Interview After their performance at the Library of Congress, Onnik and Ara Dinkjian were interviewed about their lives and careers.
- Contributor: Rupkafian, Carolyn - Dinkjian, Ara - Dinkjian, Onnik
- Date: 2018-07-03
Film, VideoTraditional Folklore in a Digital World: Podcasts In the current media environment, people often use the internet as their first recourse to get news, information, commentary, and opinion, as well as entertainment. While some of this activity involves websites...
- Date: 2021-08-17
Film, VideoTraditional Folklore in a Digital World: Social Media In the current media environment, people often use the internet as their first recourse to get news, information, commentary, and opinion, as well as entertainment. While some of this activity involves websites...
- Date: 2021-08-24
Film, VideoWomen in the Persian Gulf War The Library's Veterans History Project commemorated Women's History Month with a landmark panel discussion on the contributions of women to the Persian Gulf War and the impact on women veterans in the...
- Contributor: Mullen, Juanita - Iskra, Darlene - Mock, Juliana - Shillingford, Gail
- Date: 2012-03-27