Film, Video Gabriel Muñoz Oral History
About this Item
- Gabriel Muñoz Oral History
- Musician Gabriel Muñoz talks about his life and work with folklorist Dan Sheehy.
- Event Date
- September 22, 2016
- - Gabriel Muñoz was born in Puerto Rico in 1976. When he was 2, his family moved to New Jersey, where he grew up and still resides. He was introduced to the cuatro -- a traditional Puerto Rican musical instrument similar to the mandolin -- at the age of 14. He immersed himself in the cuatro and in Puerto Rican music and sought advice and wisdom from other cuatro players, including the well known master Alvin Medina, in order to perfect his craft. Six years ago, Muñoz co-founded the musical ensemble Melodias Borinqueñas (Melodies from Puerto Rico).
- Related Resources
- American Folklife Center: https://www.loc.gov/folklife/
- Running Time
- 54 minutes 12 seconds
- Online Format
- Original Format
- film, video
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Gabriel Muñoz Oral History. 2016. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7810/.
APA citation style:
(2016) Gabriel Muñoz Oral History. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7810/.
MLA citation style:
Gabriel Muñoz Oral History. 2016. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7810/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoGrupo Rebolú Interview
- Contributor: Sheehy, Dan - Grupo Rebolú
- Date: 2018-08-08
Film, VideoGabriel Muñoz & Melodias Borinqueñas: Puerto Rican Folk Music from New Jersey
- Contributor: Muñoz, Gabriel - Melodias Borinqueñas
- Date: 2015-09-22
Film, VideoPuerto Rican Cuatro Performance by Gabriel Munoz
- Contributor: Muñoz, Gabriel
- Date: 2015-10-06
Film, VideoBob Fulcher Conversation
- Contributor: Hanson, Bradley - Rankin, Tom - Fulcher, Bob
- Date: 2019-09-19
Film, VideoJames Hogg: Scotland's Shepherd Poet
- Contributor: Wellington, Sheena - Hunter, Adrian - Bold, Valentina - Kay, Billy
- Date: 2020-02-21