Film, Video Mapping the Wilderness of Knowledge: The Card Catalog, Past, Present and Future
About this Item
- Mapping the Wilderness of Knowledge: The Card Catalog, Past, Present and Future
- Panelists discussed the challenges of managing the "firehose of information" that is modern library collections, from using printed catalog cards to the development of MARC and BIBFRAME. The event began with an overview of the new book, "The Card Catalog: Cards, Books, and Literary Treasures," co-published by Chronicle Books in association with the Library of Congress.
- Event Date
- May 10, 2017
- Related Resources
- News Release: Card Catalog's History is Focus of New Library Publication: https://www.loc.gov/item/prn-17-050/
- Running Time
- 1 hours, 29 minutes, 57 seconds
- Online Format
- online text
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Mapping the Wilderness of Knowledge: The Card Catalog, Past, Present and Future. 2017. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7914/.
APA citation style:
(2017) Mapping the Wilderness of Knowledge: The Card Catalog, Past, Present and Future. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7914/.
MLA citation style:
Mapping the Wilderness of Knowledge: The Card Catalog, Past, Present and Future. 2017. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7914/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoBibliographic Framework Initiative
- Contributor: Wiggins, Beacher - McCallum, Sally
- Date: 2012-04-02
Film, VideoBIBFRAME 2.0, the Library of Congress Pilot & Next Steps
- Contributor: Williamschen, Jodi - Trail, Nate - Wiggins, Beacher - Hawkins, Les
- Date: 2018-06-12
Film, VideoBIBFRAME on the Move
- Contributor: Hess, Kirk - Wiggins, Beacher - McCallum, Sally - Frank, Paul - Cannan, Judith P.
- Date: 2016-09-06
Film, VideoLibraries: The Architecture of Community
- Contributor: Breisch, Kenneth
- Date: 2018-04-12
Film, VideoBIBFRAME Goes International
- Contributor: Frank, Paul - Williamschen, Jodi - Wiggins, Beacher - McCallum, Sally - Cannan, Judith - Hawkins, Les
- Date: 2019-04-02