Film, Video Picturing America: The Golden Age of Pictorial Maps
About this Item
- Picturing America: The Golden Age of Pictorial Maps
- Stephen J. Hornsby discussed pictorial maps -- those that include artwork of objects, animals, people and even imaginary creatures -- which have been around since medieval times. The tradition continued to the modern era, reaching its apex in the 1920s-1970s in the United States.
- Event Date
- May 24, 2017
- - Stephen J. Hornsby is the director of the Canadian-American Center and a professor of geography and Canadian studies at the University of Maine. He is the author and co-editor of several books, including the prize-winning "Historical Atlas of Maine."
- Related Resources
- Center for the Book: //www.read.gov/cfb/
- Running Time
- 54 minutes, 31 seconds
- Online Format
- online text
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Picturing America: The Golden Age of Pictorial Maps. 2017. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7930/.
APA citation style:
(2017) Picturing America: The Golden Age of Pictorial Maps. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7930/.
MLA citation style:
Picturing America: The Golden Age of Pictorial Maps. 2017. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7930/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoGenius of Place: The Life of Frederick Law Olmsted
- Contributor: Martin, Justin
- Date: 2011-07-07
Film, VideoFrom Divine Art to Printing Machine and Beyond
- Contributor: Eisenstein, Elizabeth
- Date: 2011-07-15
Film, VideoOdessa: Genius & Death in a City of Dreams
- Contributor: King, Charles
- Date: 2011-09-28
Film, VideoA Digital Humanities Pathway to European Enlightenment: from Account Books to Banned Books via Google Books
- Contributor: Burrows, Simon - Curran, Mark
- Date: 2011-07-13
Film, VideoProhibition in Washington D.C.: How Dry We Weren't
- Contributor: Peck, Garrett
- Date: 2011-10-26