Film, Video Ledward Kaapana Oral History
About this Item
- Ledward Kaapana Oral History
- Master Hawaiian slack key guitarist, ukelele player and vocalist Ledward Kaapana discusses his life and musical career.
- Event Date
- July 05, 2017
- - Ledward "Led" Kaapana is a master of the two leading string instruments in Hawaii: the Hawaiian ukulele and ki ho'alu, the slack key guitar, a fingerstyle guitar art form that originated in Hawaii. This talent, combined with his vocal skills in the baritone and leo ki'eki'e (falsetto) range, have made him a legendary performer who has been entertaining audiences in Hawaii and abroad for more than 40 years. He was awarded a National Heritage Fellowship by the National Endowment for the Arts in 2011.
- Related Resources
- Ledward Kaapana Concert: https://www.loc.gov/today/cyberlc/feature_wdesc.php?rec=7950
- American Folklife Center: https://www.loc.gov/folklife/
- Running Time
- 47 minutes 10 seconds
- Online Format
- Original Format
- film, video
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Ledward Kaapana Oral History. 2017. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7954/.
APA citation style:
(2017) Ledward Kaapana Oral History. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7954/.
MLA citation style:
Ledward Kaapana Oral History. 2017. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7954/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoLedward Kaapana: Hawaiian Music
- Contributor: Kaapana, Ledward
- Date: 2017-07-05
Film, VideoCantos de mi canton (Songs from My Home): Chicano Music from California
- Contributor: Alma, Agustin Lira and - Quetzal (Band), Quetzal
- Date: 2011-09-14
Film, VideoTraditional Chinese Zheng Music from Florida
- Contributor: Yao, Ann
- Date: 2011-07-27
Film, VideoBen Payton and the Thundering Harps
- Contributor: Payton, Ben
- Date: 2011-05-25
Film, VideoTony Ellis & the Musicians of Braeburn
- Contributor: Ellis, Tony
- Date: 2011-06-22