Film, Video Either/Or Concert
About this Item
- Either/Or Concert
- Either/Or, a New York-based contemporary music ensemble, performs Anthony Braxton's "Composition no. 222" (a McKim Fund in the Library of Congress commission), Richard Carrick's "La Scène Miniature," Beat Furrer's "Spur," Anna Thorvaldsdottir's "Ró," Selected Etudes by Ligeti (Taka Kigawa, piano) and Furrer's "Intorno al bianco." Richard Carrick conducts.
- Event Date
- February 18, 2017
- - Led by director Richard Carrick, Either/Or has been at the forefront of New York's contemporary music scene since 2004. Winner of the 2015 CMA/ASCAP Award for Adventuresome Programming, Either/Or focuses on new and recent works for unconventional ensembles rarely heard elsewhere. Either/Or programming explores equally the products of an American Experimental tradition (as traceable via artists such as Cage, Feldman, Lucier, Ashley) and of a European avant-garde, with a special emphasis on composers working outside the institutional mainstream. Either/Or has presented the first U.S. portrait concerts for composers such as Chaya Czernowin, Horatiu Radulescu, Karin Rehnqvist, Rebecca Saunders, Hans Thomalla and Anna Thorvaldsdottir, bringing most of these composers to New York City for public lectures and teaching engagements. Either/Or has premiered more than 100 new works in past seasons, not including dozens of student compositions. Artists commissioned by Either/Or include Anthony Coleman, George Lewis, Keeril Makan, Miya Masaoka, Zeena Parkins and Elliott Sharp. Either/Or has released recordings of composers Keeril Makan, Richard Carrick, Karin Rehnqvist and Anthony Coleman, as well as having further titles in preparation from Makan, Elliott Sharp, and Morton Feldman. Either/Or and its directors have been artists in residence at several institutions, offering course instruction, master classes, open rehearsals, readings and premieres of student works.
- Related Resources
- Music & Performing Arts at the Library of Congress: https://www.loc.gov/rr/perform/
- Running Time
- 1 hours, 43 minutes, 58 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Either/Or Concert. 2017. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7965/.
APA citation style:
(2017) Either/Or Concert. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7965/.
MLA citation style:
Either/Or Concert. 2017. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7965/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, Video"The President's Own" United States Marine Band
- Contributor: U.S. Marine Band
- Date: 2014-04-12
Film, VideoBorromeo String Quartet Performs Bartók
- Contributor: Borromeo String Quartet
- Date: 2015-12-18
Film, VideoAlban Gerhardt & Anne-Marie McDermott in Concert
- Contributor: Gerhardt, Alban - McDermott, Anne-Marie
- Date: 2016-01-16
Film, VideoBach Collegium Japan
- Contributor: Bach Collegium Japan
- Date: 2015-11-04
Film, VideoMusicians from Marlboro Concert January 2016
- Contributor: McCarroll, David - Rosen, Marcy - Gendron, Emilie-Anne - McGill, Anthony - Kim, Daniel
- Date: 2016-01-20