Film, Video Poet Laureate Tracy K. Smith Inaugural Reading
About this Item
- Poet Laureate Tracy K. Smith Inaugural Reading
- Tracy K. Smith gave her inaugural reading as the 22nd Poet Laureate Consultant in Poetry. She was joined by National Youth Poet Laureate Amanda Gorman, who opened the event with an original poem.
- September 13, 2017
- - Tracy K. Smith was born in Falmouth, Mass. in 1972 and raised in Fairfield, Calif. She is the author of three books of poetry, including "Life on Mars," winner of the 2012 Pulitzer Prize for Poetry; "Duende," winner of the 2006 James Laughlin Award and the 2008 Essence Literary Award; and "The Body's Question," winner of the Cave Canem Poetry Prize. Smith is also the author of a memoir, "Ordinary Light," a finalist for the 2015 National Book Award in Nonfiction and selected as a Notable Book by The New York Times and The Washington Post. Her fourth poetry collection, "Wade in the Water," will be published in 2018.
- Poetry & Literature at the Library of Congress: https://www.loc.gov/poetry/
- 56 minutes 33 seconds
- online text
- "For there is always light": Amanda Gorman's Inaugural Poem "The Hill We Climb" Delivers Message of Unity
- Long Live "In This Place (An American Lyric)"
- "The Poet Diaries": Amanda Gorman's View from the Catbird Seat
- During National Poetry Month, Bring Poetry to Life with Library of Congress Resources
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Poet Laureate Tracy K. Smith Inaugural Reading. 2017. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8113/.
APA citation style:
(2017) Poet Laureate Tracy K. Smith Inaugural Reading. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8113/.
MLA citation style:
Poet Laureate Tracy K. Smith Inaugural Reading. 2017. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8113/>.