Film, Video The SHARE-VDE Project: Fulfilling the Potential of BIBFRAME
About this Item
- The SHARE-VDE Project: Fulfilling the Potential of BIBFRAME
- Michele Casalini and Tiziana Possemato discuss the SHARE Virtual Discovery Environment in Linked Data, a library community-driven research and development project with the main goal of contributing in bringing BIBFRAME into practice for the benefit of librarians and library patrons. Through the individual processes of analysis, enrichment, reconciliation, conversion and publication of data from MARC21 to RDF, and in the context of libraries with different systems, habits and cataloguing traditions, a three BIBFRAME layer architecture environment (Person/Work, Instance, Item) is established. The deliverables of the project include the conversion into BIBFRAME of over 100 million bibliographic and authority records for the entire catalogue of the participating institutions. The SHARE-VDE project is carried out through discussion and experimentation of the options for the native RDF data creation, enhancement and sharing of all type of resources with the library, archive and museum communities, also revealing the richness within the data of existing collections, often hidden or unexpressed in a traditional catalogue.
- Event Date
- February 06, 2018
- - Tiziana Possemato holds a degree in philosophy from La Sapienza in Rome, diplomas in archival science and library sciences from the Vatican Library Schools and a master's degree in library sciences from the University of Florence. She has led projects in library automation, analysis, mapping, conversion and for the transformation in linked open data and the publication of catalogue data from numerous institutions. She is the chief information officer of Casalini Libri, and director of @Cult.
- - Michele Casalini is managing director of Casalini Libri, which produces authority and bibliographical data, supplies books and journals, and handles e-content for publishers and libraries. Following studies in modern languages and literature at the University of Florence and a period working with the publishing company La Nuova Italia, Casalini specialized in information technology and management. He is board member of the Council on Library and Information Resources.
- Running Time
- 1 hours 26 minutes 49 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
The SHARE-VDE Project: Fulfilling the Potential of BIBFRAME. 2018. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8275/.
APA citation style:
(2018) The SHARE-VDE Project: Fulfilling the Potential of BIBFRAME. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8275/.
MLA citation style:
The SHARE-VDE Project: Fulfilling the Potential of BIBFRAME. 2018. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8275/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoAnticipating the New RDA The RDA Toolkit Restructure and Redesign Project (3R Project) was announced in 2017 to improve the usability of the Toolkit and to address a range of cataloging issues, including the implementation of...
- Contributor: Iseminger, Damian - James, Kate
- Date: 2019-07-16
Film, VideoLibrary of Congress Digital Strategy Staff from the Library of Congress Labs group discuss the Library's digital strategy and the work being doing across the Library to implement it.
- Date: 2019-11-05
Film, VideoIntroducing the Digital Content Management Section The Digital Content Management section of the Library of Congress was established to facilitate born-digital acquisitions, maintain custodial responsibility for general digital collections (and digital collections not otherwise under curatorial control), conduct...
- Contributor: Cassidy-Amstutz, Andrew - Owens, Trevor - Grotke, Abbie - Salas, Camille - Desrochers, Aly - Johnston, Jesse
- Date: 2018-11-06
Film, VideoLibrary of Congress Vision & Strategy: Where Are We Going Library of Congress management discuss the strategic future of the the institution. As the Library enriches its user experience, it has taken on a new look and feel, and this has presented...
- Contributor: Mitchell, Anne - Loeb, Amanda - Short, Stephen - Sweeny, Mark - Conkle, Kristi - Brubacher, Ryan
- Date: 2019-06-04
Film, VideoThe eXtensible Catalog: Revealing Library Collections Through Collaborative Open-Source Technology The University of Rochester River Campus Libraries (UR) is developing an open-source system called the eXtensible Catalog (UC) to provide easy access to all library resources, both digital and non-digital, incorporating metadata...
- Contributor: Lindahl, David - Bowen, Jennifer
- Date: 2007-09-17