Film, Video A Mold Outbreak in Tbilisi, Georgia: Technical and Interpersonal Challenges
About this Item
- A Mold Outbreak in Tbilisi, Georgia: Technical and Interpersonal Challenges
- Randy Silverman discussed how the Tbilisi State University Library experienced a 15-year mold event that damaged 80,000 rare western books. Blue Shield Georgia's successful Cultural Emergency Response grant from the Prince Claus Fund (Amsterdam) supported a 10-day onsite assessment of the problem in January 2017. The consultant assembled conservators, the building's original architect, a preservation architect, and an air conditioning (HVAC) engineer to determine the cause of the bloom in the 1960-period building.
- Event Date
- January 10, 2018
- - Randy Silverman has served as the head of preservation at the University of Utah's Marriott Library since 1993. He teaches workshops on disaster planning for the Western States and Territories Preservation Assistance Service (WESTPAS), and is recognized for his national disaster recovery efforts. He has 80 professional publications and has presented professional lectures or workshops in 30 states and 13 foreign countries. He was given the American Library Association's Banks-Harris Preservation Award in 2013, received a Fulbright Specialists award in 2014 and was awarded the Utah Academy of Sciences, Arts and Letters, Gardner Prize, for "outstanding academic contributions" in 2016.
- Related Resources
- Preservation at the Library of Congress: https://www.loc.gov/preservation/
- Running Time
- 1 hours 10 minutes 16 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
A Mold Outbreak in Tbilisi, Georgia: Technical and Interpersonal Challenges. 2018. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8296/.
APA citation style:
(2018) A Mold Outbreak in Tbilisi, Georgia: Technical and Interpersonal Challenges. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8296/.
MLA citation style:
A Mold Outbreak in Tbilisi, Georgia: Technical and Interpersonal Challenges. 2018. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8296/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoGeography & Domestic Recreation in Early Modern Europe This lecture explores how world geography shifted from professional knowledge to general interest in 17th- and 18th-century Europe, looking in particular at domestic activities designed to encourage the collection and memorization of...
- Contributor: Stillo, Stephanie
- Date: 2013-10-28
Film, VideoHermitage Photograph Conservation Initiative The Hermitage Photograph Conservation Initiative is a collaborative project to provide training in conservation, documentation and cataloging practice to forward the preservation of the museum's collection of more than 470,000 photographs.
- Contributor: Pourchot, Eric - Robb, Andrew - Sayatina, Tatiana - Bernier, Brenda - Messier, Paul
- Date: 2014-04-11
Film, VideoExpressive Dimensions of Photographic Paper Photo conservator Paul Messier discusses how to better understand the materials used by photographers so that preservationists can better interpret them and care for them. Texture, gloss, color, and sheet thickness --...
- Contributor: Messier, Paul
- Date: 2016-07-12
Film, VideoProject IRENE: Analyzing Images to Digitize Sound on Historic Audio Recordings This lecture describes the IRENE technology, how the method enables the reconstruction of sound from the digital images, and the innovations and challenges relevant to scaling this method for working with thousands...
- Contributor: Dill, Olivia
- Date: 2016-10-04
Film, VideoConservation Science & the Daguerreotype Tracing the history of the daguerreotype from Paris to Philadelphia, this lecture explores the various improvements made to Daguerre's process and the ways in which it was used, examines the importance of...
- Contributor: Wetzel, Rachel K.
- Date: 2016-09-01