Film, Video Textured Abstractions: Howardena Pindell's Cut & Sewn Paintings
About this Item
- Textured Abstractions: Howardena Pindell's Cut & Sewn Paintings
- Sarah Cowan discusses the cut and sewn paintings of 1970s artist Howardena Pindell in the context of aesthetic debates engendered by the Black Arts Movement, the women's art movement and shifts in modernist criticism. Pindell's paintings used texture as a strategy for conveying her affinities for African culture, administrative and craft labor, feminine adornment and modernist art.
- Event Date
- March 30, 2018
- - Sarah Cowan is 2017-2018 Smithsonian Fellow in Residence.
- Running Time
- 1 hours 1 minutes 25 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Textured Abstractions: Howardena Pindell's Cut & Sewn Paintings. 2018. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8325/.
APA citation style:
(2018) Textured Abstractions: Howardena Pindell's Cut & Sewn Paintings. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8325/.
MLA citation style:
Textured Abstractions: Howardena Pindell's Cut & Sewn Paintings. 2018. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8325/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoIndividual Response/Collective Tragedy
- Contributor: Garcia, Julie
- Date: 2014-05-29
Film, VideoARLIS Convocation Ceremony
- Date: 2014-05-03
Film, Video2008 Visitor Orientation Film
- Date: 2008-03-18
Film, VideoCivil Rights Act Exhibition Opening Program
- Date: 2014-09-09
Film, VideoHow to Make a Digital Talking Book
- Contributor: Carbo, Phillip
- Date: 2014-10-01