Film, Video What is Applied Ethnomusicology & Why Did They Say so Many Terrible Things About it?
About this Item
- What is Applied Ethnomusicology & Why Did They Say so Many Terrible Things About it?
- Jeff Titon defines applied ethnomusicology as ethnomusicology put to practical use in a community for a social improvement, a cultural good, an economic advantage, a musical benefit or a combination of these. After defining applied ethnomusicology and offering some examples, Titon traces its history and suggests why the founding generation of the Society for Ethnomusicology held applied ethnomusicology in low regard, and why and how a new generation of ethnomusicologists, beginning in the 1980s, practiced applied work and gradually turned opinions around.
- January 14, 2015
- - Jeff Titon is co-editor of "The Oxford Handbook of Applied Ethnomusicology."
- American Folklife Center: https://www.loc.gov/folklife/
- 1 hours 3 minutes 42 seconds
- online text
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
What is Applied Ethnomusicology & Why Did They Say so Many Terrible Things About it?. 2015. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8477/.
APA citation style:
(2015) What is Applied Ethnomusicology & Why Did They Say so Many Terrible Things About it?. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8477/.
MLA citation style:
What is Applied Ethnomusicology & Why Did They Say so Many Terrible Things About it?. 2015. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8477/>.