Film, Video Eddie Bond & the New Ballards Branch Bogtrotters
About this Item
- Eddie Bond & the New Ballards Branch Bogtrotters
- Eddie Bond is a 2018 National Endowment for the Arts National Heritage Fellowship honoree. In this concert he plays Old-time Appalachian fiddling he learned growing up in Virginia with the New Ballards Branch Bogtrotters. The Bogtrotters are staples at Galax-area community dances and gatherings and frequent first-place winners at the Old Fiddlers' Convention, where Bond himself has won countless fiddle contests and twice been named Best All-Around Performer, arguably the highest honor in old-time music.
- Event Date
- September 26, 2018
- - Eddie Bond hails from Grayson County, Virginia, which many consider the musical heart of Southwestern Virginia and Appalachian old-time music. Bond was raised in Fries, Virginia, a tiny town of 600 residents with strikingly rich musical tradition, producing such musical luminaries as Henry Whitter and Ernest Stoneman. Fries is six miles from Galax, home of the Old Fiddlers' Convention, the oldest and largest fiddlers' convention in the country. Bond was taught by a maternal grandmother who played guitar and sang music handed down for generations through the Hill family, musicians documented in the American Folklife Center's archival field recordings. His great-uncle Leon Hill took him to visit many of the local fiddlers from whom he learned. His paternal grandparents played guitar and sang, and his grandmother Bond, from North Carolina, taught him many of the old mountain ballads he sings today.
- Related Resources
- American Folklife Center: https://www.loc.gov/folklife/
- Running Time
- 1 hours 1 minutes 55 seconds
- Online Format
- Original Format
- film, video
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Eddie Bond & the New Ballards Branch Bogtrotters. 2018. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8519/.
APA citation style:
(2018) Eddie Bond & the New Ballards Branch Bogtrotters. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8519/.
MLA citation style:
Eddie Bond & the New Ballards Branch Bogtrotters. 2018. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8519/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoArchie Green Memorial: Remembering Archie
- Contributor: Ferris, William R. - Green, Derek - Wilson, Joseph T. - Northern Neck Chantey Singers - Ellis, Josh - Munos, Mike - McCulloh, Judy - Billington, Dr. James H. - Johnson, Paula - Kennedy, Keith - Bond, Eddie - Pelosi, Congresswoman Nancy
- Date: 2009-09-10
Film, VideoOpalanga Pugh: African-American Storytelling from Colorado with Askia Toure on Voice and Drum
- Contributor: Pugh, Opalanga
- Date: 2008-05-28
Film, VideoGary Haleamau: Traditional Hawaiian Music from Las Vegas
- Contributor: Haleamau, Gary
- Date: 2008-08-20
Film, VideoThe Bajich Brothers: Tambura Music from Kansas
- Contributor: Brothers, Bajich
- Date: 2008-09-17
Film, VideoBar J Wranglers: Cowboy Music from Wyoming
- Contributor: Wranglers, Bar J
- Date: 2008-10-02