Film, Video Sattriya Dance Company with the Dancing Monks of Assam
About this Item
- Sattriya Dance Company with the Dancing Monks of Assam
- Performance by the Sattriya Dance Company with the Dancing Monks of Assam. Sattriya is a dance form which is more than 500 years old, and which comes from the Vaishnavite monasteries of Assam northeast India. The dance was not accessible to women for centuries. In 2000, the Indian government recognized Sattriya as one of the country's major dance forms.
- April 19, 2018
- - The Philadelphia-based Sattriya Dance Company was launched in 2009 with a mission to tell the story of Sattriya and raise awareness about Majuli and its sattras (monasteries) through performances, lecture demonstrations, and classes. The company's artistic directors are Madhusmita Bora and Prerona Bhuyan.
- American Folklife Center: https://www.loc.gov/folklife/
- 1 hours 7 minutes 59 seconds
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sattriya Dance Company with the Dancing Monks of Assam. 2018. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8526/.
APA citation style:
(2018) Sattriya Dance Company with the Dancing Monks of Assam. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8526/.
MLA citation style:
Sattriya Dance Company with the Dancing Monks of Assam. 2018. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8526/>.