Film, Video Art of the Hunt: Hunting & Fishing Folklore
About this Item
- Art of the Hunt: Hunting & Fishing Folklore
- Wyoming-based folklorist Andrea Graham discusses her fieldwork among fishers and hunters in the contemporary American West and explores how these traditions maintain, reinforce and celebrate deeply-rooted elements of place, family and community life. The folklore and traditions surrounding hunting and fishing are among the most ancient expressions of traditional culture in contemporary America. Although hunting and fishing are not usually seen as artistic pursuits, a closer examination of the handmade tools and gear used, the skills of guides and outfitters, the decorative crafts involved and the hunting and fishing stories told among hunters reveal an enormous depth of creativity, beauty and tradition. These traditions remain strong, especially in the American West.
- Event Date
- June 07, 2018
- Running Time
- 45 minutes 3 seconds
- Online Format
- Original Format
- film, video
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Art of the Hunt: Hunting & Fishing Folklore. 2018. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8557/.
APA citation style:
(2018) Art of the Hunt: Hunting & Fishing Folklore. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8557/.
MLA citation style:
Art of the Hunt: Hunting & Fishing Folklore. 2018. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8557/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoArt of the Hunt
- Contributor: Graham, Andrea
- Date: 2018-06-07
Film, VideoHoop Dances by Dallas Chief Eagle and Jasmine Pickner Dallas Chief Eagle of the Rosebud Lakota (Sioux) tribe and Jasmine Pickner of the Crow Creek Lakota (Sioux) tribe describe their tradition and perform hoop dances to Lakota songs at the Library...
- Contributor: Bulger, Peggy A. - Pickner, Jasmine - Graham, Andrea - Library of Congress - Herseth Sandlin, Stephanie - Chief Eagle, D.
- Date: 2007
Film, VideoHomeplace Mississippi: A Cultural Journey
- Contributor: Ford, Michael
- Date: 2014-06-05
Film, VideoLocality & Nation: Civil Rights & Voting Rights in the Deep South, 1963-1966
- Contributor: Jackson, Thomas - Jeffries, Hasan Kwame
- Date: 2014-04-17
Film, VideoPost-Traumatic Stress Awareness Panel
- Date: 2014-06-27