Film, Video Lone Piñon Concert
About this Item
- Lone Piñon Concert
- Lone Piñon is an acoustic conjunto from Northern New Mexico whose music celebrates the diversity and integrity of their region's cultural roots.
- Event Date
- August 01, 2018
- - Using violins, accordion, quinta huapangera, bajo sexto, guitarrón, tololoche, and vocals in Spanish, English, Nahuatl and P'urépecha, Lone Piñon has revived and updated the Chicano stringband style that once flourished in New Mexico, bringing a devoted musicianship to Northern New Mexican polkas and chotes, virtuosic Mexican huapango and son calentano, and classic borderlands conjunto. The oldest strands of New Mexican traditional music dwindled in the 1950s when New Mexico was rapidly assimilated into the American economic and cultural environment. But traces of these traditions remain in recordings, photos, and the living memory of elders. The musicians of Lone Piñon--Noah Martinez, Jordan Wax and Leticia Gonzales--learned from elder musicians, who instilled in them a respect for continuity and an example of the radicalism, creativity, and cross-cultural solidarity that has always informed folk music. In 2014, they formed Lone Piñon to strengthen the oldest strands of New Mexico string music through relationships with elders, study of field recordings, and connections to parallel traditional music and dance revitalization movements in the US and Mexico.
- Running Time
- 1 hours 1 minutes 10 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Lone Piñon Concert. 2018. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8561/.
APA citation style:
(2018) Lone Piñon Concert. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8561/.
MLA citation style:
Lone Piñon Concert. 2018. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8561/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoLone Piñon Interview
- Contributor: Stefano, Michelle - Lone Piñon
- Date: 2018-08-01
Film, VideoUnukupukupu Halau Hula
- Date: 2012-06-26
Film, VideoOral History with Harmonia Band
- Contributor: Fedoriouk, Alexander - Mikhailovich, Walt - Austin, Thea - Pidkivka, Andrei
- Date: 2013-07-11
Film, VideoNorthern Kentucky Brotherhood Singers
- Contributor: Northern Kentucky Brotherhood Singers
- Date: 2013-08-07
Film, VideoKalanidhi Dance: Traditional Kuchipudi from Maryland
- Contributor: Kalanidhi Dance Company
- Date: 2013-08-14