Film, Video Newpoli Italian Performing Group Concert
About this Item
- Newpoli Italian Performing Group Concert
- Newpoli performs folk songs and dance music from southern Italy, mainly from the regions of Campania and Puglia.
- Event Date
- July 12, 2018
- - Newpoli integrates a wide variety of styles such as Tarantella-Pizzica, Tammuriata, Villanella and the Neapolitan Canzone, encompassing music from the Middle Ages to the 19th century. Because Italian folk music, with the exception of a small number of Neapolitan songs, has not received much global attention or recognition, Newpoli concerts are often the first exposure audience members have to these traditions--even among Italians. Newpoli members are careful to highlight the joy and beauty of the music while explaining the rituals behind the dances and the ancient stories described in the lyrics. Most of the members are graduates of the Berklee College of Music and the New England Conservatory, and are proficient on a wide range of folk and early instruments including bagpipes, flutes, drums, accordions, viols, and lutes. Newpoli is Carmen Marsico and Angela Rossi (vocals), Fabio Pirozzolo (tamburello & vocals), Björn Wennås (chitarra, battente, mandola & chitarra, classica), Jussi Reijonen (oud, mandola & chitarra classica), Daniel Meyers (zampogna, ciaramella & recorders), Karen Burciaga (violin) and Jeff McAuliffe (bass).
- Running Time
- 1 hours 8 minutes 28 seconds
- Online Format
- Original Format
- film, video
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Newpoli Italian Performing Group Concert. 2018. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8563/.
APA citation style:
(2018) Newpoli Italian Performing Group Concert. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8563/.
MLA citation style:
Newpoli Italian Performing Group Concert. 2018. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8563/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoOral History: Newpoli Italian Performing Group
- Contributor: Newpoli - Winick, Stephen
- Date: 2018-07-12
Film, VideoRiley Family Band
- Contributor: Riley Family Band
- Date: 2020-06-24
Film, VideoJohn McCutcheon
- Contributor: McCutcheon, John
- Date: 2020-07-01
- Contributor: Benally, Clayson - Benally, Jeneda - Sihasin
- Date: 2020-07-08
Film, VideoAlasdair Fraser and Natalie Haas
- Contributor: Haas, Natalie - Fraser, Alasdair
- Date: 2020-07-15