Film, Video Preserving Omar Ibn Said's Words: A Slave Narrative
About this Item
- Preserving Omar Ibn Said's Words: A Slave Narrative
- The Library has preserved, digitized and made facsimile copies of "The Life of Omar Ibn Said," the only known extant narrative written in Arabic by an enslaved person in the United States. In 1831, Omar Ibn Said, a wealthy and highly educated man who was captured in West Africa and brought to the United States as a slave, wrote a 15-page autobiography describing his experiences.
- Event Date
- February 01, 2019
- Related Resources
- Omar Ibn Said Collection: https://www.loc.gov/collections/omar-ibn-said-collection/about-this-collection/
- Running Time
- 2 minutes, 30 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Preserving Omar Ibn Said's Words: A Slave Narrative. 2019. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8581/.
APA citation style:
(2019) Preserving Omar Ibn Said's Words: A Slave Narrative. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8581/.
MLA citation style:
Preserving Omar Ibn Said's Words: A Slave Narrative. 2019. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8581/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoBuilding a Custom Storage Box
- Contributor: None
- Date: 2017-04-10
Film, VideoA Light on Cuba: Through the Library of Congress Ediciones Vigía Collection
- Contributor: Drewes, Jeanne
- Date: 2015-03-03
Film, VideoThe Preservation Directorate at the Library of Congress
- Contributor: Robb, Andrew - Haley, Alan
- Date: 2015-09-14
Film, VideoPreservación del Patrimonio Nacional en La Biblioteca del Congreso
- Contributor: Haley, Alan
- Date: 2015-09-14
Film, VideoTreatment Considerations for a Newly-Discovered Drawing by Martin Ramirez
- Contributor: Peckham, Susan
- Date: 2015-07-14