Film, Video One Buddha, 15 Buddhas, 1,000 Buddhas
About this Item
- One Buddha, 15 Buddhas, 1,000 Buddhas
- Richard Salomon discussed the Library's unique Buddhist birch-bark manuscript from the ancient region of Gandhara in modern-day Afghanistan and Pakistan. This text is one of the oldest Buddhist manuscripts ever discovered, dating from around the beginning of the Common Era. Salomon explained the manuscript's significance in Buddhist literature and history.
- Event Date
- November 15, 2018
- - Richard G. Salomon is emeritus professor of Sanskrit and Buddhist studies at the University of Washington in Seattle. In addition to being the director of the British Library and University of Washington's early Buddhist Manuscript Project, he is the author of many publications on early Buddhism. His most recent book is "Buddhist Literature of Ancient Gandhara: An Introduction with Selected Translations."
- Running Time
- 1 hours, 15 minutes, 3 seconds
- Online Format
- online text
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
One Buddha, 15 Buddhas, 1,000 Buddhas. 2018. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8586/.
APA citation style:
(2018) One Buddha, 15 Buddhas, 1,000 Buddhas. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8586/.
MLA citation style:
One Buddha, 15 Buddhas, 1,000 Buddhas. 2018. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8586/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoBaghdad Jews in British Burma
- Contributor: Cernea, Ruth Fredman
- Date: 2008-09-09
Film, VideoLife in Interweaving Phases: The Art of Mitsuko Asakura
- Contributor: Asakura, Mitsuko
- Date: 2009-03-12
Film, VideoA Century of Change: China and Modernization (Part 1)
- Contributor: Chu, Dr. MI
- Date: 2009-09-18
Film, VideoA Century of Change: China and Modernization (Part 2)
- Contributor: Niu, Weihua
- Date: 2009-09-18
Film, VideoAsian Ambassadors Lecture Series
- Contributor: Chee, Chan Heng
- Date: 2009-12-02