Film, Video Conversation on the Omar Ibn Said Collection
About this Item
- Conversation on the Omar Ibn Said Collection
- Scholars discussed the autobiography of Omar Ibn Said, the only known autobiography by a slave written in Arabic in the United States. It is a historically unique and important primary source for those trying to understand the connections between the Muslim communities in Western Africa and the slaves who continued to practice Islamic faith after being captured during the Atlantic slave trade.
- February 05, 2019
- - Adam Rothman is professor of history at Georgetown University.
- - Sylviane A. Diouf is a visiting professor at Brown University.
- - Ala Alryyes is a visiting associate professor of English, Queens College, CUNY.
- - Mary Jane Deeb is chief of the African and Middle Eastern division at the Library of Congress.
- 4 hours 3 minutes 4 seconds
- online text
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Conversation on the Omar Ibn Said Collection. 2019. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8638/.
APA citation style:
(2019) Conversation on the Omar Ibn Said Collection. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8638/.
MLA citation style:
Conversation on the Omar Ibn Said Collection. 2019. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8638/>.