Film, Video Concert: Cora Harvey Armstrong Gospel Group
About this Item
- Concert: Cora Harvey Armstrong Gospel Group
- In concert, gospel singer Cora Harvey Armstrong is joined by her sisters Clara and Virginia, her nieces Kimberly, Ruthy and Clarissa, and her band.
- Event Date
- May 09, 2019
- - Cora Harvey Armstrong is a gospel singer, piano player, songwriter, choir director and bandleader born and raised in King and Queen County, Virginia. Richmond-born musician and producer Bill McGee has described her as "Aretha Franklin on piano, Mahalia Jackson with her voice and Shirley Caesar with her style." Armstrong began taking piano lessons at age five. She had a gift for playing by ear and soon learned to read music as well. Cora and her sisters Clara and Virginia sang for many years with their mother, the late Eva Elizabeth Harvey, as the Harvey Family. After the death of their parents, the sisters and Cora's nieces, Clarissa and Ruthy, continued their career. Cora majored in music at Virginia State University, where she directed the internationally acclaimed VSU Gospel Chorale. For more than 40 years she has been a favorite gospel music performer at festivals and celebrations around the country and abroad. She has toured and lectured on gospel music in Japan and Europe, and is a sought-after artist, pianist, psalmist and preacher.
- Running Time
- 53 minutes 48 seconds
- Online Format
- Original Format
- film, video
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Concert: Cora Harvey Armstrong Gospel Group. 2019. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8735/.
APA citation style:
(2019) Concert: Cora Harvey Armstrong Gospel Group. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8735/.
MLA citation style:
Concert: Cora Harvey Armstrong Gospel Group. 2019. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8735/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoCora Harvey Armstrong Gospel Group Oral History
- Contributor: Armstrong, Cora Harvey - Winick, Stephen
- Date: 2019-05-09
Film, VideoCedric Watson Trio Concert
- Contributor: Watson, Cedric
- Date: 2019-07-25
Film, VideoKristian Bezuidenhout Concert
- Contributor: Bezuidenhout, Kristian
- Date: 2016-10-26
Film, VideoU.S. Army Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps Historical Ensemble
- Contributor: U.S. Army Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps Historical Ensemble
- Date: 2019-02-27
Film, VideoDoric Quartet Concert
- Contributor: Doric Quartet
- Date: 2018-02-17