Film, Video Poetry Jam
About this Item
- Poetry Jam
- Members of the Washington, D.C. Youth Slam Team performed poems inspired by recordings, photographs and field notes from the American Folklife Center archives. Presented in partnership with Split This Rock.
- Event Date
- June 08, 2019
- - Alexa Patrick is a singer and poet from Connecticut. She is a Cave Canem Fellow, and holds teaching positions through Split This Rock, the University of the District of Columbia, and the Center for Creative Youth at Wesleyan University. In addition to the D.C. Youth Slam Team, she has also coached the slam teams of American University and George Washington University for the College Union Poetry Slam Invitational. Her work has been published in CRWN Magazine and "The BreakBeat Poets Vol. 2: Black Girl Magic."
- - Jordan Shaibani is a junior at Walt Whitman High School. Outside of the D.C. Youth Slam Team, she participates in her school's Debate and Mock Trial Teams. She also leads the Young Professionals Club and the Minority Scholars Program on both local and county levels.
- - Marjan Naderi is a five-time Grand Slam champion winner, the 2018 Library of Congress National Book Festival Poetry Slam champion, two-time Nationals MIST Spoken Word winner, and the 2019 D.C. Youth Slam Finals Slam champion. While being on the 2018 and 2019 D.C. Youth Slam Teams, Naderi was been featured in the Washington Post and Now This Her.
- - Takier George is an a 11th grader at Wakefield High School, set to graduate in 2020. She has been a member of Wakefield's Louder Than A Bomb team for the past two years and a part of the Wakefield Poetry Club for the last three years. This is her first year on the D.C. Youth Slam Team.
- - Amina Fatima is a 2019 high school graduate of Hayfield Secondary School. She will be attending Northern Virginia Community College to study general science in the fall. Fatima has been a part of the Split This Rock community since she was 14 years old. For the past three years she has been president of her high school poetry club. She and her team won first place at Louder Than A Bomb DMV 2019.
- Running Time
- 1 hours 18 minutes 39 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Poetry Jam. 2019. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8760/.
APA citation style:
(2019) Poetry Jam. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8760/.
MLA citation style:
Poetry Jam. 2019. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8760/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoJones Benally Family Dancers: Navajo Traditional Dance The Jones Benally Family Dancers sign, chant and perform a repertoire of over 20 traditional Navajo dances. They are particularly well known for the hoop dance, in which they evoke traditional figures...
- Contributor: Benally, Dyatihi - Benally, Clayson - Benally, Jeneda - Benally, Jones - Benally, Deezchill
- Date: 2019-09-10
Film, VideoJones Benally Family Dancers Conversation A conversation with world champion Navajo hoop dancer and traditional healer Jones Benally, his daughter Jeneda and his son Clayson, who, with other members of their family, comprise the Jones Benally Family...
- Contributor: Benally, Clayson - Benally, Jeneda - Benally, Jones - Fenn, John
- Date: 2019-09-10
Film, VideoThe Murphy Beds: Irish Music from New York Folksingers Eamon O'Leary and Jefferson Hamer perform traditional music as "The Murphy Beds."
- Contributor: O'Leary, Eamon - Hamer, Jefferson
- Date: 2019-08-15
Film, VideoThe Murphy Beds Conversation Folksingers Eamon O'Leary and Jefferson Hamer discuss their career performing as the Murphy Beds.The duo present traditional and original folk songs with close harmonies and deft instrumental arrangements on bouzouki, guitar and...
- Contributor: O'Leary, Eamon - Winick, Stephen - Hamer, Jefferson
- Date: 2019-08-15
Film, VideoFolklife Archives Challenge Concert 2019 For this edition of its Archives Challenges series, the American Folklife Center has invited several distinguished artists to dig into its archives and put their own creative stamps on the songs they...
- Contributor: Mesfin, Munit - Zekarias, Kumera - Tadesse, Besufekad - James, Frederick - Jones Blackford, Andrea - Tian, Chao - Razi, Thalib - Teasley, Tom - Negash, Habtamu - Heely, Sean
- Date: 2019-08-21