Film, Video Dick Spottswood: Mini Symposium
About this Item
- Dick Spottswood: Mini Symposium
- The renowned discographer, researcher, author, broadcaster and scholar of folk and ethnic music Dick Spottswood participated in a two-part event at the Library, featuring an interview about his career and accomplishments followed by a panel with prominent Washington area folklorists, ethnomusicologists, discographers and archivists highlighting his numerous contributions to American music.
- Event Date
- May 14, 2019
- - Among his many accomplishments, Dick Spottswood is celebrated as the author of the essential "Ethnic Music on Records: A Discography of Ethnic Recordings Produced in the United States, 1893-1942," a seven-volume listing of early sound recordings by foreign language and minority groups in the U.S.; the 15-volume LP series "Folk Music in America," produced for the Library of Congress to mark the 1976 Bicentennial; for his research on Caribbean, South American, bluegrass, blues, and country recordings; and for his contributions to hundreds of influential reissue recordings by labels such as Arhoolie, Rounder, Yazoo and Bear Family as well as his own Melodeon and Piedmont labels.
- Running Time
- 2 hours 21 minutes 17 seconds
- Online Format
- Original Format
- film, video
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Dick Spottswood: Mini Symposium. 2019. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8763/.
APA citation style:
(2019) Dick Spottswood: Mini Symposium. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8763/.
MLA citation style:
Dick Spottswood: Mini Symposium. 2019. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8763/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoBlack Lives Matter & Music: Documenting Contemporary Culture
- Contributor: Martin, Alison - Shonekan, Stephanie - Orejuela, Fernando
- Date: 2019-06-05
Film, VideoDancing Ireni: Reimaging & Reimagining Alan Lomax's Choreometrics Project
- Contributor: Paulay, Forrestine - Phillips, Miriam - Lobel, Meriam
- Date: 2015-04-16
Film, VideoThe Playford Assembly: 100 Years of Country Dance & Song
- Contributor: Christian, Graham - Country Dance & Song Society
- Date: 2016-01-30
Film, VideoDaisy Turner's Kin: An African-American Family Saga
- Contributor: Beck, Jane
- Date: 2016-02-17
Film, VideoDylan Goes Electric! Music, Myth & History
- Contributor: Wald, Elijah
- Date: 2016-03-16