Film, Video Essential Libraries: 2019 National Book Festival
About this Item
- Essential Libraries: 2019 National Book Festival
- Joshua Hammer discussed "The Bad-Ass Librarians of Timbuktu: And Their Race to Save the World's Most Precious Manuscripts" and Alberto Manguel discussed "Packing My Library: An Elegy and Ten Digressions" in a conversation moderated by Carla Hayden at the 2019 Library of Congress National Book Festival in Washington, D.C.
- Event Date
- August 31, 2019
- - Joshua Hammer was born in New York and graduated from Princeton University with a cum laude degree in English literature. He joined the staff of Newsweek as a business and media writer in 1988, and between 1992 and 2006 served as a bureau chief and correspondent-at-large on five continents. Hammer is now a contributing editor to Smithsonian and Outside, a frequent contributor to the New York Review of Books and has written for publications including The New Yorker, The New York Times Magazine, Vanity Fair, Conde Nast Traveler, the Atlantic Monthly and the Atavist. He is the author of four nonfiction books, including the New York Times best-seller "The Bad-Ass Librarians of Timbuktu: And Their Race to Save the World's Most Precious Manuscripts." He has won numerous journalism awards and since 2007 has been based in Berlin; he continues to travel widely around the world. His new book, "The Falcon Thief," is forthcoming in 2020.
- - Alberto Manguel is a writer, translator, editor and critic, but he would rather define himself as a reader. He was born in Buenos Aires and spent his childhood in Israel and his adolescence in Argentina. After living in Europe and the South Pacific, working as an editor, he moved to Canada in 1982 and became a Canadian citizen. There he wrote for Canadian newspapers, radio and television, as well as for many other publications around the world. From 2015 to 2018, he was the director of the National Library of Argentina. His previous books include "The Library at Night," "A Reader on Reading," "Curiosity" and "Packing My Library: An Elegy and Ten Digressions." He is also the author of "Homer's The Iliad and the Odyssey: A Biography."
- - Carla Hayden is the 14th Librarian of Congress.
- Running Time
- 42 minutes, 21 seconds
- Online Format
- online text
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Essential Libraries:National Book Festival. 2019. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8899/.
APA citation style:
(2019) Essential Libraries:National Book Festival. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8899/.
MLA citation style:
Essential Libraries:National Book Festival. 2019. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8899/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoEnduring Appeal of the Odyssey: 2019 National Book Festival
- Contributor: Miller, Madeline - Manguel, Alberto - Wilson, Emily
- Date: 2019-08-31
Film, Video2019 National Book Festival Gala
- Contributor: Kwon, R.O. - Thomas, Evan - Palacio, R.J. - Hayden, Carla D. - Gerlad, Casey - Rubenstein, David - Ford, Richard
- Date: 2019-08-30
Film, VideoStory Time with Carla Hayden, Librarian of Congress
- Contributor: Hayden, Carla D.
- Date: 2016-09-16
Film, VideoRick Atkinson: 2019 National Book Festival
- Contributor: Atkinson, Rick
- Date: 2019-08-31
Film, VideoAndrew Roberts: 2019 National Book Festival
- Contributor: Roberts, Andrew
- Date: 2019-08-31