Film, Video Candice Millard on James Garfield
About this Item
- Candice Millard on James Garfield
- New York Times bestselling author Candice Millard discusses her book, "Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine & the Murder of a President" about the of the presidency and extraordinary story of the life of President James Garfield, the post-shooting medical treatment that may have caused his death, and the political struggles that defined the era. While Garfield's is not the most famous assassination of a US president, the story of his shooting and its aftermath is both gripping and relevant.
- Event Date
- September 18, 2019
- - Candice Millard is the author of "Hero of the Empire: The Boer War, a Daring Escape and the Making of Winston Churchill" (2016), and "River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey" (2005). She is also a top ten critics pick by the New York Times, as well as a Quill Awards finalist. Millard's work has also appeared in the New York Times Book Review, Washington Post Book World, the Guardian, National Geographic, and Time.
- Running Time
- 54 minutes, 22 seconds
- Online Format
- online text
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Candice Millard on James Garfield. 2019. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8936/.
APA citation style:
(2019) Candice Millard on James Garfield. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8936/.
MLA citation style:
Candice Millard on James Garfield. 2019. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8936/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoPolitics of Culture, Culture of Politics: Europe in the 21st Century
- Contributor: Haskell, John - Krastev, Ivan
- Date: 2019-05-09
Film, VideoThe Future of Political Parties
- Contributor: Haskell, John - Masket, Seth - Victor, Jennifer Nicoll - Levin, Yuval
- Date: 2018-05-21
Film, VideoPolarization and Political Discourse in the U.S.
- Contributor: Mason, Lilliana - Haskell, John - Barker, David C.
- Date: 2019-03-21
Film, VideoPerspectives on Congressional Policymaking
- Contributor: Haskell, John - Smith, Lamar - Lee, Frances
- Date: 2019-10-03
Film, VideoCandice Millard: 2016 National Book Festival
- Contributor: Millard, Candice
- Date: 2016-09-24