Film, Video NEA Heritage Fellow Concert: Las Tesoros de San Antonio
About this Item
- NEA Heritage Fellow Concert: Las Tesoros de San Antonio
- A concert by Las Tesoros de San Antonio, a group of elder women performers who teamed up to preserve Mexican and bicultural musical expressions through their singing and storytelling. Through the Esperanza Peace and Justice Center in San Antonio, Janet "Perla Tapatia" Cortez, Beatriz "La Paloma del Norte" Llamas, Blanquita "Blanca Rosa" Rodriguez, and Rita "La Calandria" Vidaurri teamed up as the group Las Tesoros in the 2000s. Although Janet Cortez and Rita Vidaurri passed away in recent years, Llamas and Rodriguez continue to perform and maintain the legacy of the group. All four women grew up in the West Side of San Antonio, Texas and each singer, with her personal style and grace, forms part of this unique ensemble that represents the important sound of the Mexico/Texas border. They are inspired by and connected to many other important Tejana singers, including the great Lydia Mendoza (1982 NEA National Heritage Fellow) and the internationally renowned Eva Garza.
- Event Date
- September 18, 2019
- - Beatriz "La Paloma del Norte" Llamas is a Mexican singer born in 1938 in Aguascalientes, Mexico. She moved to Texas when she was 11, and a few years later in 1951, she entered her first talent contest. Although she lost the contest to Eva Ybarra (2017 NEA National Heritage Fellow), Llamas entered another contest and won, launching her career and allowing her to sing on radio shows and tour with different musical acts. Llamas began recording singles for Sombrero Records in addition to sharing the stage with Alberto and Arturo Lopez, whom she later married. Llamas also worked with KCOR- one the country's first full-time, Spanish-language radio stations. She was inducted into the Tejano Music Hall of Fame in 1995 and the Tejano Conjunto Hall of Fame in 1999.
- - Blanca "Blanquita Rosa" Rodriguez was raised in San Antonio, Texas, where she began singing at the age of five. At age 13, Rodriguez won first place in her first performance at the Teatro Guadalupe, which led her to sing on KCOR radio and at Teatro Zaragoza. She toured the United States and Mexico, performing with groups like Mariachi Vargas de Tecalitlan, Mariachi America, Mariachi de Ramon Palomar, and Los Reyes de Jalisco, and singing stars like Amalia Mendoza, Charro Avitia, Vicente Fernandez, Jose Alfredo Jimenez, and Juan Mendoza. In addition to performing, Rodriguez is an active music teacher, instructing and coaching her students in singing techniques.
- Running Time
- 57 minutes, 54 seconds
- Online Format
- online text
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
NEA Heritage Fellow Concert: Las Tesoros de San Antonio. 2019. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8966/.
APA citation style:
(2019) NEA Heritage Fellow Concert: Las Tesoros de San Antonio. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8966/.
MLA citation style:
NEA Heritage Fellow Concert: Las Tesoros de San Antonio. 2019. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8966/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoLatina Storyteller Oral History
- Contributor: Deedy, Carmen Agra - Campillo-Soto, Karla
- Date: 2016-04-07
Film, VideoEsma Redžepova & Folk Masters Play Romani (Gypsy) & Macedonian Music
- Contributor: The Folk Masters - Redžepova, Esma
- Date: 2016-04-20
Film, VideoSoumya Chakraverty & Devapriya Nayak: Traditional Hindustani Music from Virginia
- Contributor: Chakraverty, Soumya - Nayak (Debu), Devapriya
- Date: 2016-05-06
Film, VideoNOKA: Basque Song & Music from California
- Contributor: Noka
- Date: 2016-07-06
Film, VideoThe Legendary Ingramettes: African American Gospel Music from Virginia
- Contributor: The Ingramettes
- Date: 2016-07-21