Film, Video Quoth the Raven: Edgar Allan Poe & Derivative Works
About this Item
- Quoth the Raven: Edgar Allan Poe & Derivative Works
- This presentation discusses Edgar Allan Poe's advocacy for copyright law, the breadth of his impact and the many derivative works it has inspired. Poe's work has inspired thousands based on his original stories and poems. For example, Poe's poem "The Raven" is one of his most widely used works, as it has been used as part of television shows, movies, songs, plays and countless dramatic readings. It is also the only literary work that has an NFL team named after it, the Baltimore Ravens. More than 300 comic books adaptations of Poe's work exist, plus many comics use Poe as a character or as inspiration for a character. Just about every style of music has a song inspired by, or at least mentions, a Poe work. Films dated as far back as 1909 tell Poe's stories. This widespread use of his work is ironic in that Poe was a strong advocate for copyright protections, especially in the international arena, as many of his creative works were reprinted cheaply in England without his permission and without any remuneration.
- Event Date
- October 29, 2019
- - Christopher Semtner is curator of the Edgar Allan Poe Museum in Richmond, Va. An internationally exhibited artist, he has seen his paintings entered numerous public collections including the Virginia Historical Society and the University of Maryland.
- - Enrica Jang is executive director at Poe Baltimore/The Edgar Allan Poe House & Museum in Baltimore. An enthusiast long before she joined Poe House, Enrica has both written and edited books, graphic novels and anthologies inspired by Poe's works.
- - Thad Ciechanowski, owner of Dijit Media, is a filmmaker, director and editor. He has directed and edited short, educational films based on Edgar Allan Poe's works, including "The Raven" and "The Cask of Amontillado."
- Running Time
- 1 hours, 3 minutes, 12 seconds
- Online Format
- online text
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Quoth the Raven: Edgar Allan Poe & Derivative Works. 2019. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8977/.
APA citation style:
(2019) Quoth the Raven: Edgar Allan Poe & Derivative Works. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8977/.
MLA citation style:
Quoth the Raven: Edgar Allan Poe & Derivative Works. 2019. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8977/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoPublic Domain: Celebrating the Lifecycle of Copyright
- Contributor: Temple, Karyn A. - Lanier, Douglas - Levandusky, Whitney - West, Ben - Rowland, Catherine Zaller - Seavey, Nina Gilden
- Date: 2019-01-16
Film, VideoReach for Gold: Sports and Copyright
- Contributor: Derakhshani, Delara - Garrett, Robert - Heggans, Derrick
- Date: 2019-04-25
Film, VideoCopyright Matters: Create an Adventure with Copyright
- Contributor: Shodekeh - Fink, Jeanne - Sachs, Andrea - Hessler, John
- Date: 2019-07-31
Film, VideoSection 512 Study Roundtable - Session 1
- Contributor: Lemon, Mike - Pariser, Jennifer - Turek, Rasty - Burroughs, Scott Alan - Rose, Meredith - Szabo, Carl - Willen, Brian - Tushnet, Rebecca L. - Shemmeri, Aws - Osterreicher, Mickey - Hatfield, Ken - Carey, Erich C. - Temple, Karen A.
- Date: 2019-04-08
Film, VideoSection 512 Study Roundtable - Section 2
- Contributor: Midgley, Peter - Moss, Sasha - Band, Jonathan - Gray, Trevor L. - Carlisle, Stephen - Kupferschmid, Keith - Rasenberger, Mary - Castillo, Sofia - Levy, Arthur - Doroshow, Kenneth L. - Donaldson, Caleb - Hudson, Douglas T.
- Date: 2019-04-08