Film, Video Kannon Shanmugam on the State of the Constitution
About this Item
- Kannon Shanmugam on the State of the Constitution
- In honor of Constitution Day, Kannon Shanmugam discussed the role of the judiciary in our constitutional system and the relationship between the judiciary and the other branches of government.
- Event Date
- September 17, 2019
- - Kannon Shanmugam is a partner in the law firm of Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison. He heads the firm's Supreme Court and appellate litigation practice and is managing partner of the firm's Washington office. Widely recognized as one of the nation's premier appellate advocates, Shanmugam has argued 27 cases before the Supreme Court, including several of the Court's most significant business and criminal cases. Beyond the Supreme Court, he has argued dozens of appeals in courts across the country. Shanmugam previously served as an Assistant to the Solicitor General in the U.S. Department of Justice. After graduating from Harvard and Oxford University, he served as a law clerk to Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonin Scalia Judge J. Michael Luttig on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
- Running Time
- 59 minutes, 4 seconds
- Online Format
- online text
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Kannon Shanmugam on the State of the Constitution. 2019. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8980/.
APA citation style:
(2019) Kannon Shanmugam on the State of the Constitution. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8980/.
MLA citation style:
Kannon Shanmugam on the State of the Constitution. 2019. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8980/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoA History of Law in American Film
- Contributor: Silbey, Jessica
- Date: 2016-07-20
Film, VideoLaw Day 2016: Paulette Brown
- Contributor: Shaffer, Roberta I. - Brown, Paulette
- Date: 2016-04-27
Film, VideoThe City of the Jews: Segregated Space & the Admission of Strangers in the Jewish Ghetto ...
- Contributor: Indrimi, Natalia - Varricchio, Armando - Cooperman, Bernard - Villani, Stefano
- Date: 2016-05-24
Film, VideoConstitution Day 2016: Rights of People with Mental Illness
- Contributor: Maman, Robert
- Date: 2016-09-07
Film, VideoLove Wins: Obergefell v. Hodges
- Contributor: Obergefell, Jim - Cenziper, Debbie - Brown, Nicholas
- Date: 2016-06-29