Film, Video Ladino Songs & the Sephardic Diaspora
About this Item
- Ladino Songs & the Sephardic Diaspora
- Sarah Aroeste, Shai Bachar and Ellie Falaris Ganelin perform Ladino music and offer educational commentary about the language. Ladino is the language of Sephardic Jews expelled from Spain during the Inquisition, spoken in the Mediterranean and Balkan regions before World War II-- now endangered because numerous speakers were killed during the Holocaust. Aroeste describes Ladino as a "pan-Mediterranean language crossing linguistic and cultural boundaries." A display of rare Ladino books curated by the Library of Congress accompanies this performance.
- Event Date
- November 08, 2019
- Running Time
- 1 hours, 8 minutes, 24 seconds
- Online Format
- online text
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Ladino Songs & the Sephardic Diaspora. 2019. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8993/.
APA citation style:
(2019) Ladino Songs & the Sephardic Diaspora. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8993/.
MLA citation style:
Ladino Songs & the Sephardic Diaspora. 2019. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8993/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoEver Faithful: Race, Loyalty, and the Ends of Empire in Spanish Cuba
- Contributor: Sartorius, David
- Date: 2014-04-30
Film, Video75th Anniversary of the Hispanic Reading Room
- Date: 2014-10-23
Film, VideoEl Maratón de Poesía del Teatro de La Luna
- Date: 2014-06-06
Film, VideoHispanic Americans in Congress 1922-2012
- Contributor: North, Tracy - Rucker, Terrance
- Date: 2014-09-01
Film, VideoRivalry & Alliance Politics in Cold War Latin America
- Contributor: Darnton, Christopher
- Date: 2014-06-26