Film, Video Gods of the Upper Air
About this Item
- Gods of the Upper Air
- Charles King discussed his book, "Gods of the Upper Air: How a Circle of Renegade Anthropologists Reinvented Race, Sex and Gender in the 20th Century," a group portrait of Franz Boas (1858-1942), the pioneering German-American professor of anthropology at Columbia University, and some of his most eminent students: Margaret Mead, Zora Neale Hurston, Ruth Benedict and Ella Cara Deloria. Boas rejected the then-popular notion of cultural hierarchies and taught that cultural differences are not the result of biological differences, such as race.
- Event Date
- December 13, 2019
- Running Time
- 1 hours, 7 minutes, 1 seconds
- Online Format
- online text
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Gods of the Upper Air. 2019. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8998/.
APA citation style:
(2019) Gods of the Upper Air. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8998/.
MLA citation style:
Gods of the Upper Air. 2019. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8998/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoOdessa: Genius & Death in a City of Dreams
- Contributor: King, Charles
- Date: 2011-09-28
Film, VideoOn the Finland Watch: An American Diplomat in Finland
- Contributor: Cooper, James Ford
- Date: 2019-04-24
Film, VideoFrido Mann: Democracy Will Win
- Contributor: Mann, Frido
- Date: 2019-10-01
Film, Video1941: The Year Germany Lost the War
- Contributor: Nagorski, Andrew
- Date: 2019-11-04
Film, VideoThe Galloping Hour: French Poems by Alejandra Pizarnik
- Contributor: Morales, Anna Deeny - Gander, Forrest - Ferrari, Patricio
- Date: 2019-03-06