Film, Video Esperanza Spalding
About this Item
- Esperanza Spalding
- A luminous artist with a magnetic stage presence and brilliant chops as an improviser, composer, bassist and vocalist, Esperanza Spalding is grounded in jazz traditions but never bound by them. Her visionary, "funky yet cerebral" (Downbeat) musical voyages and performances with partners from Herbie Hancock to Prince have won her four Grammy awards and a worldwide fan base. This exhilarating evening features Spalding's new violin and piano commission from the Library. She is joined by Olivia De Prato, violin; Leo Genovese, piano; and Francisco Mela, drums. Program: Esperanza Spalding: "Accompania me me me ment" (McKim Commission) [1:37]; "Blessed Be the Bark (for Cassandra Wilson)" [15:02]; "Friend Request (inspired by Sandrine Lee)" [18:59]. Leo Genovese: "Chacarera Liliana" [21:54]. Esperanza Spalding: "Winter Sun" [31:56]; "Tangerine" [41:59]; "Work of Art" [46:48]; "I Adore You" [52:10]; "I Do" [1:05:13]; "Pyramid" [1:08:13].
- Event Date
- May 04, 2018
- Running Time
- 1 hours 13 minutes 39 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Esperanza Spalding. 2018. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-9160/.
APA citation style:
(2018) Esperanza Spalding. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-9160/.
MLA citation style:
Esperanza Spalding. 2018. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-9160/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoStevie Wonder Performs "Sketches of a Life" Singer/songwriter Stevie Wonder, the awardee of the second Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song, premieres "Sketches of a Life," a sprawling, hybrid pop-classical concerto, written between 1976 and 1994. The...
- Contributor: Wonder, Stevie
- Date: 2009-02-23
Film, Video"Justice" by Roger Reynolds Composer Roger Reynolds' operatic work "Justice," commissioned for the celebration of the Library's Bicentennial in 2000, was performed in the Great Hall of the Library's Jefferson Building. Written for actress, soprano, percussionist,...
- Contributor: Reynolds, Roger
- Date: 2001-11-30
Film, VideoOn LOCation: Dafnis Prieto Si O Si Quartet Concerts from the Library of Congress presents Dafnis Prieto's Si O Si Quartet with guest artist Christian Howes, on location at the new Atlas Performing Arts Center. Performance: Si o Si (0:54)...
- Contributor: Prieto, Dafnis - Howes, Christian
- Date: 2010-04-24
Film, VideoEuropa Galante Concert Europa Galante performs under the leadership of violinist Fabio Biondi. The program includes works by Galuppi, Vivaldi, Reutter and Holzbauer. The concert honors former Speaker of the House Nicholas Longworth, a supporter...
- Contributor: Europa Galante
- Date: 2018-01-12
Film, VideoMinguet Quartett Concert The Minguet Quartett performs a program of Czech music, including major works by Janáček and Dvořák alongside a transcription of one of Mahler's best-known songs by quartet violinist Annette Reisinger. The Library...
- Contributor: Minguet Quartett
- Date: 2017-11-17