Film, Video Sequestered Thoughts: Damien Sneed & Jeremy Jordan
About this Item
- Sequestered Thoughts: Damien Sneed & Jeremy Jordan
- Composer Damien Sneed has been paired with pianist Jeremy Jordan to write a new work for solo piano, entitled "Sequestered Thoughts." The piece was inspired by spending many days alone in solitude during the COVID-19 pandemic of Spring 2020. It opens with a virtuosic fluttering in the right hand juxtaposed against a strong and determined left-hand motif speaking to the many meandering thoughts that come to one when they find themselves devoid of human interaction and fellowship. Then a motif comes out of the left hand representing the inquisitive longing for things to shift to a new normal while the right hand plays octaves mirroring the monotony of days running together and weeks running into months. Then with the feeling of inward searching of the soul, a chromatic scale cascades downward into a strong-willed determination to survive in resilient hope for the future upward into keys effervescently peering upward in expectation. The Library of Congress developed The Boccaccio Project to provide some artistic responses to the COVID-19 pandemic. Ten composers were commissioned to write brief solo works, with the remotely recorded pieces premiered online in June 2020.
- Event Date
- June 15, 2020
- Running Time
- 1 minutes 54 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sequestered Thoughts: Damien Sneed & Jeremy Jordan. 2020. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-9217/.
APA citation style:
(2020) Sequestered Thoughts: Damien Sneed & Jeremy Jordan. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-9217/.
MLA citation style:
Sequestered Thoughts: Damien Sneed & Jeremy Jordan. 2020. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-9217/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, Videoshadow of a difference / falling: Richard Drehoff Jr. & Andrew Nogal
- Contributor: Nogal, Andrew - Drehoff Jr., Richard
- Date: 2020-06-16
Film, VideoIntuit (a way to stay in this world): Miya Masaoka & Kathryn Bates
- Contributor: Masaoka, Miya - Bates, Kathryn
- Date: 2020-06-17
Film, VideoBridges: Cliff Eidelman & Jenny Lin
- Contributor: Eidelman, Cliff - Lin, Jenny
- Date: 2020-06-18
Film, VideoHello World: Erin Rogers & Erin Lesser
- Contributor: Lesser, Erin - Rogers, Erin
- Date: 2020-06-19
Film, Video1462 Willard Street: Luciano Chessa & Charlton Lee
- Contributor: Chessa, Luciano - Lee, Charlton
- Date: 2020-06-22