Film, Video Danielle Allen Takes on the Hard Questions on Democracy and Public Life
About this Item
- Danielle Allen Takes on the Hard Questions on Democracy and Public Life
- John Haskell and new Kluge Prize recipient Danielle Allen discuss some of the difficult questions in public life today.
- Event Date
- July 02, 2020
- - John Haskell is the director of the John W. Kluge Center.
- - Danielle Allen is director of the Edmond J. Safra Center for Ethics as well as the James Bryant Conant University Professor at Harvard University, as well as the recipient of the 2020 John W. Kluge Prize for Achievement in the Study of Humanity. She is an internationally-regarded political theorist with an extensive record of scholarship on justice, citizenship and democracy.
- Running Time
- 27 minutes 48 seconds
- Online Format
- online text
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Danielle Allen Takes on the Hard Questions on Democracy and Public Life. 2020. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-9254/.
APA citation style:
(2020) Danielle Allen Takes on the Hard Questions on Democracy and Public Life. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-9254/.
MLA citation style:
Danielle Allen Takes on the Hard Questions on Democracy and Public Life. 2020. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-9254/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoKluge Prize Address From Recipient Danielle Allen Danielle Allen delivers an address titled "Educating for American Democracy," in which she considers the role of education in fostering a common purpose in American society. At a time when the idea...
- Contributor: Haskell, John - Allen, Danielle - Hayden, Carla
- Date: 2021-11-16
Film, VideoKluge Prize Winner Danielle Allen Harvard professor and political theorist Danielle Allen, winner of the John W. Kluge Prize for Achievement in the Study of Humanity from the Library of Congress, is profiled in this short video.
- Contributor: Gates, Theaster - Hiatt, Fred - Allen, Danielle - Haskell, John - Hayden, Carla
- Date: 2020-06-22
Film, VideoOur Declaration: A Reading of the Declaration of Independence in Defense of Equality Danielle Allen drew from her own experience teaching the Declaration of Independence as well as from historical sources in writing her book, "Our Declaration: A Reading of the Declaration of Independence in...
- Contributor: Allen, Danielle
- Date: 2019-11-21
Film, VideoHow Political Institutions Shape Outcomes and How We Might Reform Them In the U.S., political institutions reflect choices and compromises about how we balance between majority and minority interests. Kluge Prize winner Danielle Allen moderates an expert panel to look at the way...
- Contributor: Haskell, John - Fahey, Katie - Allen, Danielle - Hayden, Carla - McCormick, Cara - Drutman, Lee
- Date: 2021-04-15
Film, VideoFinding a Shared Historical Narrative Kluge Prize winner Danielle Allen moderates an expert panel to discuss the changing interpretations of the nation's founding documents and the principles they were founded upon. They will also explore the tension...
- Contributor: Molina, Natalia - Haskell, John - Allen, Danielle - Goldman, Samuel - Park Hong, Cathy - Hayden, Carla
- Date: 2021-05-13